NEED ADVICE ASAP!

I'm asking this for my good friend who doesn't have the interent. Her son is almost 8 mos and i watch him 3 days a week for 6 hrs per day. He has always had a really wierd demeanor, very tense and rigid. He does smile and laugh, but rarely cuddles unless super tired. Always fussy! He plays with toys on occasion and just started to kinda move around. However, he will not be sat down or he will scream bloody murder! While he is at my house, i can't hold him 24/7 cause i run a daycare. His mom is very good to him but doesn't overly spoil him. Lately, its gotten worse! He WILL NOT BE PUT DOWN! He screams constantly, we give him orajel, tylenol, feed him, ect... it does NOTHING! The only time we can set him down is if we swaddle him SUPER tight ans put him in the swing. We he gets mad he gets even more tense and scratches the hell out of his head. We are both at a loss. She made a doc apt but we need advice ASAP! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like something is going on there with him for sure. Its good that youre working with her to help her.I have not experienced all those symptoms consistently and at once with a child. So I really have no great advice to offer. Hope the doctor can figure something out.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:54 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• The baby could be spoiled to the point where he has to be held constantly. I'd set him down in another room and let him vent and cry himself to sleep. Just because a baby cries doesn't mean the parents have to jump. Making the appointment is a good idea as well. Don't forget the earplugs or turn up your ipod!
    NikkiVan1

Answer by NikkiVan1 at 12:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Sound like maybe he has tummy trouble? Does he have regular dirty diapers? Does he like to be put on his tummy on your knees and bounced to help with gas?
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• The rigidity, screaming and scratching concern me the most. I suspect this child has a neurodevelopmental disorder related to sensory issues--which is why he scratches, and loves to be swaddled. It could be autism.

Both of my children have mild autism, and my younger son acted more like the child you care for when he was around 8 months old. The mom should request a referral to a Developmental Pediatrician for an evaluation. It's always best to rule things out, instead of being afraid at what an evaluation may discover.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• sounds like he could have some sensory processing issues, since he likes to be wrapped so tight. But also could be severe seperation anxiety. My only real advice is, if you guys are this concerned and the doctor just says not to worry about it, get a second opinion from another doctor. Also, every state is required to have some sort of early intervention services, here it is called NEIS. She can find out the group name in your state and request that he be evaluated for delays (since you say he's barely moving and not playing with toys). They may have some insight also. Good luck!
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 12:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I also have a child with mild autism, just like LoriKeet and we had similar responses, so definitely be mroe agressive with finding out whats going on.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 1:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• First of all you can't spoil a baby by holding them. It's normal for a baby to want to be held. I'm not sure how a baby can want to be held but yet you say the baby doesn't cuddle. It sounds like the mom need to find someone that will hold him 24/7. When I did day care for babies I would meet their needs including using slings and carriers and holding them as much as they needed. The mom may want to rethink working and if her baby is needing her so much that she needs to take some time off.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:41 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Could also be severe allergic reactions causeing pain and discomfort that can't be seen. Wheat and dairy and red dye are quite common triggers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My first thought was a behavioral disorder such as Asperger's or Autism. But I am not a doctor so I do not know for sure. I would keep a journal of the behavior and take him to see a developmental specialist. My prayers go out to you and your friend. Good Luck.

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 3:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It's not spoiling. PATENTLY IMPOSSIBLE to spoil an infant under one year. HOLDING IS NEVER SPOILING.

Does sound like sensory issues going on with this baby. A specialist is needed.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010