If you were 'poor' growing up, at what age did you realize it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• When my mom handed me Dollars that looked like monopoly money to go to the corner store to get a gallon of milk and I found out thats what Food Stamps were, LOL.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My siblings and I were all led to believe we were "poor". My parents even applied for free school lunches for us. The school didn't award us that privilege, so I just starved every day at school. My mother (IF WE WERE HAVING A LUCKY YEAR) gave us each 3 outfits per year. It was always weird because even though they had 5 kids (4 of us adopted) my mother drove a Corvette and my father a pick up truck. (Guess where they made us ride?) I didn't find out until just a few months ago that my father made $20,000 to $60,000 A MONTH!Granted, he didn't always make that, but while I was in high school he did.... What did he say he did with all that money? Gambled it away. "Throwing 5 grand in a slot machine was nothing to me." (We lived in Las Vegas) I responded, "The diff betw you & me is that I take care of my children b4 myself. It would have been nice to at least get some effing lunch money." (And yes I love my dad)
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 1:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I didn't get poor until I grew up! Having kids drained me of almost everything!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• eleven

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:08 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• ...not sure we were 'poor'. we did not live in a big house or have brand new cars every year or name brand clothes, but we had what we needed....I guess I notice we didn't have LOTS of money around...13 maybe...
    Tnamari

Answer by Tnamari at 1:08 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• according to my dh, we were poor. where i went to school there were lots of friends that had more than us, lots that had the same and lots that had less. i grew up not caring too much about material things. i bought things with my own hard earned money if i wanted them. i started working when i was 10.
    our needs were met. i never was jealous of friends that had more.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It was talking to my husband, who self-identified as 'poor' when I realized that we had no money when I was a kid. He used to go to movies every weekend. I saw three movies in theatres before I was 13. He used to get presents when his mom went 'shopping'. The only shopping my mom ever did, apart from Christmas and school clothes, was for groceries. I got presents for birthdays and Christmas.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:24 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I think I always knew. And never cared. I had brothers and friends and a dad who loved me. I never cared about the kind of shoe I wore when I had those things.
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 1:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2010