On a scale of 1-10, How would you rate the way youre parents raised you? (more inside)

Do you think they were a 10, meaning great parents, they did everything right? Or lower maybe, they could have been better parents towards you? & What did they do right or wrong, in your eyes? What could they have done to make your life better now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• i would give my mom an 8 and my dad a 5. they were divorced, my dad & stepmom smoked ciggerates in the house with me, talked bad about my mom, used to tell me to call her a fat bitch & tell me about how hes broke bc of paying her child support, one time told me if i didnt come and live with him i wasnt his daughter anymore and didnt talk to me for a year, told my grandparents not to talk to me, drank alot, etc. - my mom was great, we were best friends, co-slept, worked her ass off to give me everything i wanted, and was just really great but when i was 12, she started working alittle too much, i barley ever saw her and then she got with my stepfather and really rushed into marrying him & didnt pay much attention to me through the whole thing, me & him didnt get along and she didnt know how to handel it and ended up really really bad.. but now that we are all adults, everything is great & i love them all. i still dont really
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• 2-She didn't kill me,but I came close to seriously getting hurt MANY times. I went without eating ALOT.She cared more about her own wants than my needs.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:12 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• 9 - I think the only thing I would have changed is I wished they would have helped me through college. Other than that, I had a wonderful childhood.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• like my stepmom because she talks bad about my mom still sometimes, and smokes in the house with my sister and is a pretty shitty mom, but theres not much i can do about it so...
    PURPULbutterfly

• Id say a 7. They are loving, patient, caring, christians who have good intentions, but ODD and borderline personality disorder run in my biological side of the family. My parents when I was younger instead of taking me to the pedi, getting a referal for a physciatrist or something, refused to even accept that I have problems (i.e. odd, bpd) and it made our life hell, and it still does...id get angry have an outburst, theyd repsond with yelling at me, spanking me, etc, none of which was effective at all, my behaviour never changed and they never tried any other technique to disipline/parent me. Sadly that led to me being able to walk all over them and they still dont understand me, or my problems and still think that i am making them up! For the love of god, why are my parents such shut outs when it comes to things like this?! It really is super upsetting! :(
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 1:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I would give my parents a 9, only because none of us is perfect.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Seven.

Lots of love and acceptance, with some silly rules and poor communication.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I would say an 8..because they were alcoholics back then...but still provided everything, etc. I just didn't like how my dad caused favoritism between us siblings...That is the WORST thing you can do between your children. I don't care if you have children who are not yours, DO NOT SHOW FAVORITISM! We all talk now..but we're still working out hurts that my dad caused my brother to go through (physical abuse with that situation). I still had good times with them and relationships are way better now!
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 1:34 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• 2. I am being generous. There were some happy moments but my parents clearly made it obvious that our sister was the best, smartest, etc. There was 4 of us growing up and that was too many kids. My parents have never supported anything I have done. As long as you do what they want...you will be considered a good child.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• 7...they were loving parents, but I feel they did a huge disservice to me by not preparing me for my adult life. They never engaged with me about my personal thoughts, my fears, my goals...nothing. I was just expected to go to college and then get a job. I feel like they mostly went through the motions but never truly took interest in my life.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2010