My son hasn't pooped in 24 hours, what should I do?

The doctor said it's normal for him to go from pooping four or five times a day, to skipping a day or two, but I'm a new mom and very worried. Does anyone have any advice, anything I can do? Thanks

lilmisscheerio

Asked by lilmisscheerio at 1:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if he doesnt poop soon, ask the DR about prune juice
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• he's fine. worry when its been 3 or 4 days

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• but that is normal
    PURPULbutterfly

• My son since birth has always pooped every other day. He never seemed uncomfortable and his dr said there is different kinds of normal for kid.s Is he uncomfortable, belly seem to be hurting, etc?
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Is he breastfed?

Breastfed babies can poop 10 times a day (or, really, pretty much every time the diaper is changed, there's some there) or once every 10 days. Breastmilk is highly digestible, and there is very little waste.

"Regularity" is an invention of a very strange mind, and has no basis in science.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Do you breastfeed? I believe they have fewer bowel movements when you breastfeed as opposed to bottle-feeding. Don't worry, every now and then, babies won't poop for a day or more. Hang in there, if you ped is not worried, you shouldn't be either.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 1:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My advice is to not worry about it..its normal, he's fine. really, One whole day is no big deal.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It's normal, don't worry til he doesn't poop for a week and or is very uncomfortable or has a hard belly.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 1:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Nothing! Make sure you are breastfeeding 8-12 times every 24 hours. You don't want to give your baby anything if your baby is less than 6 mo. Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended no prune juice or anything else, it's bad for the baby's digestive system.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:24 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Thanks guys. He's breastfed and he's not in any pain or anything.
    lilmisscheerio

Comment by lilmisscheerio (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Aug. 17, 2010