Advice for a LONG car trip?

We have made this trip often but this time is slightly different as we usually travel at night time so they sleep and they had always had night time pull ups on. This time we are leaving at noon and no more pull ups. We are making a 900 mile trip up, staying 3 days, then driving the 900 miles back home. I have their Leapster 2's ready to go, along with their digital cameras, some mini coloring packs, and we are having lunchables for dinner in the car. We only stop every 300 miles for gas (I just can't stand it if it takes more than 14 hours to get there...I get grumpy) Any more ideas about how to keep these two girls busy in the car for 8 hrs (they usually fall asleep around 8pm)? haha...I also have a portable potty for the trunk in case they have to go on the side of the interstate. They are 6 and 7.

ashisamom

Asked by ashisamom at 1:31 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Travel

• I always have an activity bag packed along with a cooler full of food and drinks.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 9:19 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I bring my MP3 player and listen to it in my head phones....lol
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 1:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Is it possible to try to make it a little fun and see any sights along the way? I'm a big fan of making things silly for the kids on road trips.

If you don't want to sight see at all - maybe a laptop and a movie or 2.

My kids were 2, 7 & 9 when we did our first big road trip. The older 2 sat in the 3 rd row and shared game boys games and made up games with their stuffed animals. We also went hiking in National Parks, saw Indian Reservations and any giant ball of twine available.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• We play a card game called, Rubberneckers, bought it at a book store. You have to find what is on the card, ie, semi truck, convertible, someone picking their nose, someone eating, basketball court etc and you get points. It will occupy them for several hours. Good for kids and adults, the more the merrier!!
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 9:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I was going to suggest the car games. Simple ones like I spy and things like that. Snacks are a must. I try to keep drinks minimal so we do not have to make a lot of bathroom trips. It sounds like you have things planned out. We do a lot of movies when we travel it keeps them busy too. Hope things go smoothly.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:27 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Make a game out of things.. like find a license plate from every state, or they have bingo sight seeing games (like a slot for a tractor, another for a plane, etc).. they are travel friendly games.

I would personally make a point to make a few more pit stops for food.. lunables aren't really a great dinner, and it's nice to stretch your legs for even a few minutes in a different environment.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• play games along the way .. spotting red cars etc .. how abt portable dvd players?
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:38 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• we did a lot of long road trips as a kid and we still slept a lot even when we traveled during the day so I'd get them to bring pillows and blankets for the car... it might be worth it to invest in a portable dvd player if your car doesn't have one...
    oh and they have these really cool road atlases for kids with games, they can map out the trip and follow your progress (so there's none of that "are we there yet" business... they can see for themselves how much further)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 8:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• dvd player and card games.gl enjoy
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:50 PM on Aug. 28, 2010