ceramic tile countertops with matching floor???

So my hubby and I are thinking of putting ceramic tile countertops in to match the floor. We have the 12x12 tiles on the floor and we wanted to put the 6x6 on the counters. everyone we talk to says they will be hrad to clean, we will have to keep regouting them, the grout will get in out food, they will scratch easy... the list goes on. my question is does anyone actually have them? A person that actually knows how it is to have them. My question to you is do you like them? why why not? thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Home & Garden

• My Sister has them & HATES them! Her grout looks dingy and the tiles crack if you put something down too hard. Not a good idea! There are so many nice alternatives today. I have granite (black galaxy) and I love them!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I have quartz countertops. Would never do ceramic tiles for a countertop, they scratch, the grout gets dirty, they will wear down with use.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:27 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I agree with the others! Tile countertops are a bad idea! Even larger 12 x 12 tile would have the same effect. Have you seen the granite look pre/custom cut formica counter tops--at Lowe's/Home Depot?! They are an inexpensive way to give a little "umph" to your kitchen without killing your budget!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:43 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• We put tile counter tops in the kitchens of some of our rentals. I am very happy with them. First the initial cost is very very low.
    The grout line on the counter tops has to be very fine. 1/8 rather than 1/4 on the floors. Seal the grout at least once a year. Do not just spray the seal in the grout lines. Wipe it on fairly heavy.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• that is a lot of tile!
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:21 AM on Aug. 23, 2010