Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Majors similiar to nursing ?

I am in school right now for massage therapy. 3 of my teachers have said that I should continue school for something like nursing or physical therapy because I understand all of my medical classes so well. I think that is a great idea. I finish school in December. I am engaged and my fiance feels that if I continue to go to school after graduating that i will be putting a lot of pressure on him to make more money since I only work part-time. I agree with him but I really want to get school over while I'm young (I'm 22), and get a career going for myself to support my family equally. So the question I guess is, what kind of major could I do that isn't nearly as much schooling as nursing or physical therapy? Something that I can still work in a medical field in a way but take less time in accomplishing? (I just want to add that he would be supportive if it was shorter and I made more money while in school to help with bills)

Answer Question

Asked by Samantha19 at 1:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 2 (10 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • It only takes two years to get your RN, can't get much shorter than that. My son is a RN and by the time he was 24 he was a charge nurse and making $50 an hour. You can go to some schools part or full time.


    Answer by Gailll at 1:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

  • My daughter was on a waiting list for a nursing program and she finally decided to go into the surgery tech program instead because there was no wait. You just had to take a certain class and pass it with a B. It's a 2 yr program for a degree but she has all the basics due to taking them as she waited for the RN program. She will get her degree in 1 yr. She will later be able to get into the nursing program easily if she wishes because she will already have a degree from that college. If there is a Jr college near you check out their programs. I'ts less expensive than those online programs you can take.
    There are a couple of programs that are a year but most are 2 yr programs.

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

  • You might want to talk to someone at your local college or university. Explain your situation with then. Not only will they be able to show you majors are available, but you may also qualify for financial aid.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 4:34 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

  • Why isn't your fiance more supportive of your career goals? Why would marriage change the pressure he feels?

    Answer by rkoloms at 9:50 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

  • Thanks for the opinions. I think I will go talk to someone at the school. And to rkoloms - I knew someone was going to say that which is exactly why I explained it all. If you read it closer you would see that he is supportive of what I do he just needs help making more money if we expect to have a wedding next year. This post is about me going to school though, not about my fiance, so don't respond if you aren't actually answering the question. Thanks.

    Comment by Samantha19 (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.