How to help a child with adhd behave.

My daughter is four years old and is very hyper active and acts out alot. She is now getting aggressive with other children. I dont know what to do anymore to help her calm down and to make her understand that she is being mean.

candace1986

Asked by candace1986 at 1:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• A lot of time-out ( to remove her from the heated situation) and a lot of patients!! ;o) I have a Friend who's 8 yr old son is ADHD and I know he just gets over stimulated sometimes. She just removes him from the situation and it defuses things, lets him calm down. Over time he has learned that is what helps him - and have verbalized that to her.  I also think it helps that I understand how it works so I am not "offended" at how he acts in regards to my kids.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Watch what you do first and foremost, and what she sees on TV. When my son hits me it's usually because he's testing me, but I don't and never have hit him, so that's what I say, (Does Mommy hit you??...no, so you don't hit mommy) Also I've noticed that if he doesn't eat well balanced meals he gets really attention defecit, and also when he eats things high in sugar, even caffeine free soda. Lastly I would say engage your child as much as possible so they know how to act with other people. When their left alone and disciplined for everything they do, they don't know what to do with themselves...
    bianchi01

Answer by bianchi01 at 2:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• google 1-2-3 magic. My oldest has ADD and it worked wonders
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:11 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Timeout to relax and cool off.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 12:41 PM on Sep. 17, 2010