Anyone have a good experience with JWs coming to the door?

I have always heard people complain about JWs coming to the door. They're rude, pushy, etc. etc. I had the same woman come to my door every month for 3 years and just loved her. Wasn't pushy in the least, left her books, chit chatted about family for a bit and went on her way. I even looked forward to her stopping by. We moved and for the last few months this other woman has came by. I told them in the beginning I was not interested in a Bible study or anything of the sort, but do enjoy the reading material. I read everything and like to read their view on things as well as anyone else's. Anyhow, I really don't care for her at all, she's really turning me off from even answering the door. Today she used terms like "get rid of the wicked people" and talked about the end coming in a way where all I could picture was a chicken running around yelling "THE SKY IS FALLING!" Was the other lady the only friendly one? lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• "A JW lady came to the door on a bad day. I just found out I had cancer. She offered to help me. She ended up being a huge help for like a year. She never talked about religion. She helped with the house, shopping, driving to doctor appointments, ect. You never know where your help is going to come from."

That's so neat! And I bet she never felt the need to talk about religion because she was living her faith. She was a shining example of what all Christians should be. :D
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:10 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• well seems like u had a great experience with one lady at least. i try to be very polite to them but just turn them down flat before they start in on their preaching. we mostly get Mormon missionaries actually and some can be kinda rude but mostly they are very polite and leave graciously as soon as i say we're not interested.
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 1:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Nope, never

As soon as my door is knocked upon in the middle of the day, it's a negative experience.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I do remember one, tho they didn't come to the door--when I was younger and still a christian. I was very pregnant with my daughter and my son was a 3-yr-old todder. We had walked to the grocery store (only had one car then and hubby needed it for work) and were returning home. I tripped on a curb and took a nasty tumble onto the rough pavement. Immediately a car pulled up to the curb and two girls jumped out of the car, helped me to my feet and gathered my spilled groceries back into the bags. They drove me and my son home and dropped by later that evening, just to make sure me and my unborn baby were okay. I only knew they were JWs because of the literature they were carrying. No mention of religion. Just two human beings helping another human being. In the midst of all the negative ones we've had at our door over the years, I remember best the kindness of these two.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 6:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• The JW's who have come to my door have always been polite and friendly, but I'm still not interested in their religion. I will usually act like I'm in a big hurry, take the magazine they offer, and excuse myself. I get somewhat annoyed by their visits because I don't like to be rude but it can be hard to get them to move on without doing so.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• When my third son was born my leg was paralyzed and my husband filed for divorce the next day. The doctors told him I would never walk. I lived in a trilevel house and used a wheelchair on the main level, scooted on the carpet upstairs dragging my baby on a blanket, and used  a wheeled walker in the basement.

A JW lady came to the door on a bad day. I just found out I had cancer. She offered to help me. She ended up being a huge help for like a year. She never talked about religion. She helped with the house, shopping, driving to doctor appointments, ect. You never know where your help is going to come from.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• We had really nice ones, but I think I scared them off by being overly enthused or something, because they said they'd be back and they never were! They only came the once, and they were the only ones that ever did....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• No. I have never had a good experience with JW ever. We usually have to slam the door in their faces cause they don't listen. One time when we lived in the apartment and I was home..some JW was able to get inside the building and come up the stairs and knock on my door..I was like who the heck is that? Then was so shocked that he came up there..he ran down and out there...I think he was a little convicted..lol. So now we just don't answer our front door unless we know you're coming and usually most of those people go to our back door cause that's most used because in the front there's a lot of hustlers..so that's another reason why I stopped answering my front door as well unless you warn me you're coming.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 1:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• We live near a Kingdom Hall. My experiences since we've lived her amount to "thank you but we're not interested." "ok, you have a good day." I'd consider that neutral, but compared to all the horror stories I hear, I guess it's good. Honestly, the only traumatic door to door proselytizing experience I've had wasn't with a JW, it was from an evangelical church where I grew up.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I have always had bad experiences with all Religous Solicitors. they tend to get offensive when I say No Thank You we're not interested. That's why I have a nice big sign on my door that says "No Religious Soliciting". So far I've had absoultely no problems with them at all now.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 1:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2010