Was this mean of me to do?

My dh's 19 year old neice is pregnant with her 2nd baby.I am pregnant with our 3rd.She has always been a skinny girl. Im not fat myself but hey...I had my last two children pretty close together. I am 3 weeks farther along than she is.
Every single time I see this girl, she has something to say about how much bigger my belly is than hers.She says, Oh my baby is going to be smaller than yours, I can tell.(Repeatedly she likes to say that one). and similar statements like that. I always respond by laughing and saying, yeah well my babies are always on the large size.My last two have been close to 9 pounds.
So this past Sunday, I went to her baby shower.We were playing the guess how big mamas belly is by cutting string to fit around the belly. I measure the string the size of my belly and just cut it smaller.It ended up being too small for her, so I said haha thats the size of MY belly! I told her I was j/k, she got offended

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would have done it too. Pooh on her for being mouthy but not being able to take a joke!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I dont think it was mean. It was just a joke and you didnt mean it to be mean. She is kinda rude with what she says to you. I think she is more in the wrong then you were with that.
    candace1986

Answer by candace1986 at 1:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Oh well, if she wants to be an idiot, why does she expect you to be all nicey nice about it!? Really, i would have said something a long time ago to her. i don't think I could have bit my tongue if she had continues that EVERY TIME I saw the girl.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 1:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Not mean at all, it was obviously just a joke. That's not petty, either.
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 1:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It doesn't sound like she was trying to be mean to you, just the typical first pregnancy stuff. Most women seem to be clueless with their firsts as to what's normal and what isn't. Be the bigger person and let it go. Being petty over someone's immaturity doesn't make you any better than she is.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• She's just ignorant, and possibly jealous for some reason. Tell her your baby may be healthier than hers. I just can not stand any one telling a pregnant woman before or after a baby is born, anything negative about her weight, most of us feel fat as it is. There is karma, maybe that's what she got from you, not nasty, karma, think of it that way.
    NO YOU WERE NOT MEAN.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 2:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• If she has been making "fat" comments all along then she shouldn't be offended when you say something. Maybe that game shouldn't have been played if it was going to upset her.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 6:37 PM on Aug. 17, 2010