Why does everyone assume that Pagans are against Christianity?

I've found more...support...for my faith in God from Pagans than Christians! Why, because if you say to a Pagan, I'm having a crisis of faith...they will say something like, well, does this still feel like the path you should be on? Do the words still speak to you?

And if you say to a Christian, I'm having a crisis of faith, you will get an explanation as to why you shouldn't feel that way.

I've never once had a Pagan try to turn me away from God.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 1:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think that because many pagans have had to fight for their beliefs with family or friends, they are more tolerant of other people's struggles. Now this of course is a generality, and every person you meet is different. But some christians truly feel that their religion is the only right religion and anyone else is doomed. So they are afraid for you if you say you are having a crisis. I was very lucky and grew up in a very mixed religion family, so I don't really identify with any One religion. Also christinity is the most accepted religion in our society. Many pagans I know are just very open minded people, and try not to judge anyone (which is actually something Christ said too). Find your path and feel g-d in whatever way makes sense to you.
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 2:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Well to be honest there are a lot of Pagans against Christianity or at least any main stream religion. That said, there are a lot that are not. As always, it depends on the individual. The problem is there is no one mold for everyone to fit in and its human nature to group people into one category.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 2:14 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I completely get what you are saying! A crisis of faith spoken to another Christian will get you the company line. Pray more, listen, you just need faith. Well, duh! I am here because I don't have faith! You're telling me to just have fiath?!
    My friends who are not Christian tend to be more supportive of everything I go through. Other Christians tend to shut you down and look for your sin!
    komby

Answer by komby at 2:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• We try our best to listen to people who need a kind ear with an open heart. When a friend approaches me in pain I listen to them and give them a person to lean on. When a person is hurting the last thing the need to hear is that their faith is not what it should be. I don't worry about their religion or amount of faith, it is helping my friend through a trying time is what is important.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:12 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• As with most misconceptions about Pagans, I think it comes down to popular portrayals and propaganda. I mean, when you see a Witch in a Movie, she's not usually the type to be a nice person or appreciate others - which is far from realistic, but makes for good entertainment. And when you hear about Pagans from your Church or other religious teachers they aren't going to show them in a positive light because that may encourage you to seek them out or want to know more. We tend to believe what we see and what we hear... And when all we see and hear is "Pagan's are bad, evil people who hate Jesus" that's what we believe.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:35 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I think that Pagan in general are just more open minded. I personally don't concern myself with the religious beliefs of others because it is their choice and it is a very personal choice that only they can make. I chose to take a solitary approach to the things that put my spirit at peace. It makes no difference to me what people think of that choice.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:05 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Really good question Lovenangels. I think it's because Pagans don't feel any need to convert anyone to their way of thinking, so they listen and it doesn't matter to them what religion you are unless you are in their face telling them that they are evil. In my experience pagan people tend to be less judgmental and more open to new ideas than many other religions or belief systems are.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:24 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• That statement is one that can lead astray but can also bring you closer to your faith. Still it comes off more on the lead you astray path. As a Christian I would want to know why you feel this way. I would try to help you not tell you you shouldn't feel that way. I also don't think all Pagans are against Christianity but some are just like not all Christians are against Pagans.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:22 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• And I am not understanding how someone asking someone else if they still feel they are on the right path is leading anyone away from any faith, Christian or not. Religion doesn't happen to you it is a choice - if you have a brain that is. If you don't feel your religion deep down nor understand how it congruently is your path and defines your path, how can you claim that you are part of it? Intention is key, understanding is necessary, along with faith because mystery is also key to some extent. If you don't take personal responsibility for your personal religious choice, then isn't it meaningless?
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 6:18 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I don't, but I am not Christian so I don't buy into all the scare tactics that many Christian people seem to be fed about people of other religions, or sexual orientations, or lifestyles. I have never understood how people who follow a book that tells them to love their neighbors can be so afraid and hateful of everyone around them. But that's probably another question for another day, lol.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:16 PM on Aug. 18, 2010