how to wean off bottle and formula

Hello Moms, my daughter weaned off the bottle easily and seemed to love the sippy and drinking whole milk, water, and diluted juice. My son doesn't seem interested at all, any advice on how to get him off formula and onto whole milk using the sippy. I have tried all the different type of sippy cups (since he was 5 mos old), he either doesn't suck or he spits the drink all over. Also, since giving him whole milk on occasion he has very loose stools, is that normal? My daughters weaning was a breeze and now I feel unsure how to transition him. Thanks for your help! ps my son will be 12 mos old on the 3rd of sept.

rjacob2008

Asked by rjacob2008 at 1:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know about the stools..but I know with Samuel I put in half whole milk..half formula and then eventually made the formula less and got rid of it completely. You may have to still deal with a few temper tantrums after getting rid of the formula completely..but for now just ease him off.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 2:02 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Well for the bottle we first only gave her a bottle at night, during the day she got a sippy cup but then we noticed that she was still depending on the bottle so one day I threw all of them away and told her she had to drink from her sippy cup from now on.

When we switched to whole milk we had to to half and half. After she got used to that then we would add more milk than formula, then eventually just whole milk.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 2:05 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• we didn't have trouble switching from formula or breast milk to whole milk with either child, but I did have a huge problem with my son weaning from a bottle to cup. We got to the point where he would drink everything from a sippy, except his milk. When I was finally sick of it (we allowed it for way too long), I just got rid of all the bottles in the house. Then when he wanted his milk, as he so cutely called it Mmk, I would just give him the sippy. He would get upset and I would show him where the bottles use to be and that now there are only cups. It only took 2 days before he stopped asking for the bottle all together.
    Your son is younger than mine was when I did this, so maybe showing him and talking to him about it may not be as helpful. Point is though, if you just only offer him sippys and take away all bottles, so you don't give in yourself, he will take it. He will realize it's his only choice.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 2:12 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• From with the dr's told me the stool is normal as long as it is not every stool if it is then need ot have it checked, but I did cold turkey with all three of my kids at exactly 12mths.
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 2:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2010