Medical coding or Medical transcribition?

I have been looking for a job that I can do at home with the babes at foot around their scheldules. I was wondering if anybody had some insight on which of these would be better finiacially and accessible.
Thanks

Jtsmom0621

Asked by Jtsmom0621 at 1:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• I have a friend that is a coder.... the test was pretty intense, and she had years of experience when her hospital made them all get certified. She does it at home but has to be signed on the computer during certain hours and can't just do it when it works into her schedule. Hope that helps.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I took Medical transcribition. The school told me yes you can work part time and from home. Then at the end of the year. When they helped me to find a job. I was told. No you can not work part time and around our area. If you got hired by the one hospital that let you work from home. You had to work there hours and work there for a 2 yrs and maybe you might be able too. So I would still have to put my children into child care because i had to work there hours. I was so upset that when I started school. I was told yes you can work part time and around your own hours. So I know have this school loan I can never use.
    So look into what is in your area and what they expect before you do it.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:08 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Well---I have gone thru the training to be a Medical Transcriptionist, and NO ONE will hire me!!! WHY? Because I don't have ATLEAST 2 years experience!!!!!! Well--DUH!!! If NO ONE will hire me, HOW can I gain experience???? Also, I have a relative who does transcription for a few small drs. offices. She LOST A LOT of work b/c the BIGGER Drs. offices and hospitals invest in a machine that AUTOMATICALLY transcribes what the Dr. says into the tape recorder, therefore, no longer needing medical transcribers. If I were you, I would go into coding!!!! I am planning to become a Medical biller/coder in the NEAR FUTURE!! Good luck to you!!
    Allebas

Answer by Allebas at 2:12 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I am certified in both and have found that its VERY hard to find a job in BOTH fields. So much so i recently went back to school to further my education. Coding- there are ALOT of people out there who can code, if they have been doing even a few months more then you they will pick them over you for a job. Transcription- Thanks to Technology, alot of us our losing not only our jobs but our drs, Like allebas said, they are now doing everything digital, which leaves no room for Transcriptionist. They are looking for ways to save money and this was one of them. ALOT of the hospitals and drs are now going this route. Good luck, they are both VERY competitive markets.

SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 2:32 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• A medical coder has to know all the codes that doctor's offices and hospitals use when doing billing. They work primarily with claims. A medical transciptionist takes a doctor's notes either on paper or recorded and types them up. Either one you pick, you would need to complete specialized training and be tested.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I'd without a doubt say coding! You actually get certified to be a coder and you'll make a hell of a lot more. With transcription you listen to a tape recorder and type our what the dr said on notes that belong in the patients file. With coding you are handling the actual medical claims for insurance. Transcription is easier to become but doesn't make as much.

I just got a certificate in Medical Office Technology (with emphasis in Insurance Billings) and have since decided to go back to school to become a coder because they make sooo much more money. I know that the class is hard work and the test is crazy, but in the end it'll be totally worth it!
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 7:30 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• And either way, you'd have to work at an office for years before they'll let you do it at home. Also, you have to have an actual office to work out of when you are home, for compliance with HIPAA .
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 7:32 PM on Aug. 17, 2010