will having my period make my serum iron level drop? adult content

my level is 107 now
will having my period lower it at all?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Health

• The serum iron isn't that good of a test. There is almost no iron in the serum. The normal test done for anemia is the CBC and it's the RBC count, HBG and HCT that are important. The whole CBC is done because there is only one machine for doing those tests and in modern labs and it does the whole CBC. It is cheaper that way.

Your RBC, HGB, and HCT do respond to blood loss. Serum iron is more complex to understand and the test is easily subject to error. Serum iron is iron that is being transported. You have to be fasting because iron being transported from the food you eat changes serum iron. If red blood cells break during the process of taking your blood, shipping, or processing then iron from the cells could get in the serum. HGB is the easiest iron result to understand and follow.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010