Breastfeeding question!

My daughter is 5 months weighs 13 pounds. The dr is concerened about her weight. She used to over eat then spit up so much milk. Now she starts to eat the rip her head away from my breast scream/cry just for a couple seconds then suck a couple times then do it again. Is she not hungry? I have milk i check its there this is just so frustrating. Im not sure what to do. we feed her rice creal w/frut at night could she just want that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's how my oldest son acted. He would latch and the second my milk let down, he would pull off, arch his back, and scream. He finally quit eating completely and I was referred to a pediatric GI specialist who said he had silent reflux. The eating would cause pain, and him arching his back would close the valve in the stomach, easing the pain. He was put on Prevacid and Reglan and was a completely different child. He started eating and gaining weight again, and stopped crying all the time.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:10 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Sounds like over active letdown.
    Check out kellymom.com
    Lots of good advice on there.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 2:10 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• BTW I should add that I never would have guessed it was reflux because he didn't have any other symptoms. I really suggest you see a GI specialist.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Is she doing this every time? My son is 3 mos, and once in a while he will do that. Honestly, he does it when he is just over tired, or VERY gassy. It's rare though. Have you tried pumping into a bottle, and seeing if she'll take the milk that way? It is possible she may prefer the fruit to the milk. How much of a concern is her weight to your Dr? My 3 mo old is already 14 lbs..I feel like he's a beast!!

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It really could be a lot of things - let down, sore throat, ear ache, teething, etc. Just keep at it. Most likely this will only last a short time. It's so frustrating when they do that (and can REALLY hurt when they pull off). She will eat when really hungry!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• That sounds familiar. My girls were like that too. They also had acid reflux but weren't prescribed anything. I was just told to put some rice cereal in the milk to prevent too much spit up. Patience was all I was prescribed by their pedi. They would do exactly what your baby does: Latch, quick suck, then arches back & screams. I would burp them then continue to nurse through their little fits. I just wait until they're ready & sooner or later, they calm down & nurse quietly. But I would take your little one to her pediatrician to see what they think about it.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 2:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Also, if it is reflux, your positioning may help a bit. I found that if I nursed my son in the football hold with his head up a little extra, he had a much easier time and didn't seem to be in as much pain.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• >My daughter is 5 months weighs 13 pounds. The dr is concerened about her weight.<

What was her birth weight? Because 13 pounds sounds darned good.

>She used to over eat then spit up so much milk. Now she starts to eat the rip her head away from my breast scream/cry just for a couple seconds then suck a couple times then do it again. Is she not hungry? <

Could be overactive letdown or TEETH. My money is on teething. Any drooling or gnawing of hands?

>I have milk i check its there this is just so frustrating. Im not sure what to do. we feed her rice creal w/frut at night could she just want that? <

Not likely. I'm thinking teeth. Reflux or overactive letdown are also possible but I'm really thinking teeth.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group for more help.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2010