Sitting for nephew 52.5 hours a week for how much $$?

I watch my sister-in law's son from 7-530 M-F. He's 15 months old. I offered to watch him for $150/week, works out to $2.87/hour. The mother provides food and diapers. Was this too much to ask??? She got really upset and said that she could find a daycare that would feed him for cheaper than that. I'm a SAHM of one 3 year old boy, the level of care that my nephew received surpassed anything he could get from a daycare...I loved him as one of my own.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Family is there to help out, but not to be a full-time daycare provider. No one can expect you to provide childcare for free. I would look around for the going rate in your area and charge something in line with that. You need to make it worth your while though. Watching another person's child (even a family member's child) is not easy. Not everyone was made to do that kind of work.

I would seriously reconsider this agreement. If you're already having problems, more will come up. Make up a written contract and don't forget to address food, diapers, sick days for you and for the child, vacation days, and holidays. Business is business.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 4:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• eeesh! Well, I know daycare rates vary depending on your area - I love in the Detroit metro area. I pay mine $200 a week for a toddler at a CENTER where he is one of 4 and sometimes one of 6 kids being watched by one adult. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE for someone to offer my child one on one attention for 150 a week!! I recently just offered one of my friends $250 a week to watch my son at her home. She has one child of her own - a toddler also - and I feel like I'm still underpaying her due to the amount of love and individual attention he'll receive compared to a center.

Your sister in law is being ridiculous. Period. She doesn't know how lucky she is.
    crystalbean2

Answer by crystalbean2 at 2:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My DD goes to an excellerated pre-k and I pay $125 a week. She goes from 7:30 to 5:30. Being that it was family, I think you should of been a little nicer on price. Thats what family does, we help eachother out...
    allfiller

Answer by allfiller at 2:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• You should call around at the local daycare centers and see what they would charge for a child your nephew's age for the same amount of time that you would be watching him, then undercut the average by at least 50% for your SIL, 30% for anybody else (this is if they are bringing their own supplies & meals). I ran a daycare out of my home for a few years when my son was small and this is how I figured out my prices at the time.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:27 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Wow at Gailll. Unbelievable. I guess you have never been a working mother... 1/2 her pay is ridiculous. So if someone makes a100K a year they should pay 50K for childcare? laughable
    Anyway to answer your question. As a working mother I would gladly pay my relative 150 a week to watch my 14 month old daughter. Currently she goes to a daycare center that I am very happy with. She is loved there and cared for. I pay 190 a week and I provide diapers and food. She is there from 8 till 4:30.
    Take into consideration how much she makes and come up with a price from there. If she only makes 10 an hour then 150 a week is a ton. Anyway sorry she reacted that way.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 4:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Ouch! I would have said the same. Family is there to help each other out IMO. If it was my nephew...I would have done it for free as long as she provided his food and diapers and stuff.
    Walker101

Answer by Walker101 at 2:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• the home daycare next to me is $35/ day and the is cheap!! My son's preschool is also a day care... charging $37/day and they charge $1 per minute for every minute over the 8.5 hours a day! SO I'd say you are pretty low end!!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It really depends on your area. in my area for family, that would be asking a lot. I babysit a little boy from 7-4 M-F, they provide all food, drinks and diapers and I get paid $100/week. That is considered really low. Most in home daycares in my area are 125-150/week.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 2:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• i thnk thats a fair price i put a couple post of that and most people told me i had to charge atleast 150. i haarge my sil 50 dollars and i have to provide food and snacks milk and juice for him because she doesnt bring anything. and i have him from 8 in the morning to about 630 in the after noon. i have a 2 yr old and a 5 month old so its hard she is telling everyone im over charging her but im sure she wont find anybody to charge her 50 a week. im basically just paying for the stuff ineed to provide. the same way she is in need to work for money i think i should be paid to. i did tell her if she wanted to goout looking for daycares if she though i was over charging she refused because she knows their is no way she is going to find cheper and with the attention he is getting from me. i think if she is not ok with it tell her to look for prices in day cares and if she finds cheaper to take her son im sure she wont find it
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 2:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• The more I think about it the more I think I'd tell her to go and find another day care that charges less. Watching a 15 month old makes twice as much work for you, and you should be compensated a fair and decent price for the work you are doing. Just b/c you are family doesn't mean you should be taken advantage of. You are still taking on the responsibility of caring for another child!!
    Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 3:05 PM on Aug. 17, 2010