What would you do?

I live in a larger apt complex and I just moved from one building to another due to neighbor issues. There were lots of reasons we moved but the main 2 were; the neighbors upstairs being too loud and our neighbors downstairs smoked so much that you could smell it in our apt. The leasing agent knew our reasons. There is now a couple that lives 2 floors down that smoke but they go outside to do it. They start smoking at 7am and it goes on all day. Their cigarettes smell horribly and they are bothering me, my newborn (7 weeks old) and occasionally my 3 year old too. I don't know what to do, I can't report them because they're outside but we can't move either (1 year lease). I can't turn the air on either, our elec bill was over $200 last month! Any other ideas?

austinsmama1106

Asked by austinsmama1106 at 2:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• put fans in the windows to blow air outwards, this will keep the smoke from coming in the open windows.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• if smokers are outside
    put fan in window and have it blow out
    if need be put another fan on other side of room also blowing toward window
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• ??? you might see if they are willing to stand a little further from the building when they smoke.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 2:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Talk to the people beneath you. Maybe they can smoke on the other side of the building? Is there somewhere else in the complex to move? Ask the owner & tell them why. But make sure there are no other issues with the new place. OR, break the lease, pay what you have to, if you don't have the $ then make a deal to pay it off or ask for a reduction in the fee & move. GL

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:23 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Start saving for a house. I know it's hard, believe me. But you will always encounter problems with renting. For now, the fan seems like a good idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• This is just something you are going to have to deal with when you live in any type of complex. I know it sucks, but you are right you can't just move every time things don't go as hoped. I do hope things get better for you!! Maybe you could talk to your neighbors and explain the situation and see if they would mind going a little further away to smoke. Good Luck!
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 2:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I have fans blowing towards all windows and you can still smell it. The way the wind has been blowing lately blows it straight up here. They ignore us when we try to talk to them (even when we just say hi in passing). They are on their "porch" when they are smoking and there really isn't anywhere else to go (apts on both sides). They don't even smoke in their cars, they came home from shopping the one day and must have went straight back outside to smoke because thats all you could smell. I'm friends with one of the ladies in the leasing office (not the one that rented to us) and there are NO apts open right now, not even in the next 60 days (except 1 bedrooms). Even if we got out of our lease there is no where to go and we have no money for a deposit either! :(
    austinsmama1106

Comment by austinsmama1106 (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Anon- we are planning on getting a house next year when our lease is up! we wanted to this year but it just wasn't possible with how much out of pocket we had to pay for having our baby!
    austinsmama1106

Comment by austinsmama1106 (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2010