Sitters pay rate...

I watch my sister-in law's son from 7-530 M-F. He's 15 months old. I offered to watch him for $150/week, works out to $2.87/hour. The mother provides food and diapers. Was this too much to ask??? She got really upset and said that she could find a daycare that would feed him for cheaper than that. I'm a SAHM of one 3 year old boy, the level of care that my nephew received surpassed anything he could get from a daycare...I loved him as one of my own

bianchi01

Asked by bianchi01 at 2:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• 150 a week for full time care is average where I live, if not a little on the cheap side
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• higher than I'd pay. It seems kind of pricey for family
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 2:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• No, I don't think that was too much to ask and if you feel that is what your service is worth, then you are entitled to charge it.
    I babysit in my home. I did offer a discount to babysit for a friend of mine and I charged her $20 per day but really, I couldnt go any lower than that.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I think it's more than fair. Did she ask you to watch him thinking that you would give her a break on the cost? That's another issue....... If you are truly curious about pay rates in your area, just call the local daycares and ask them what they charge. It's not exactly comparing apples to apples, but at least you will get an idea. And by that, I mean that there are both positives and negatives for both avenues of childcare addressed in this question (daycare facility or at a relative's home).
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• most sitters ask for $5-$20 per hour O_O
    that mother is getting a wonderful deal with you and if she can find a day care cheaper than that then its not a very good day care. Most of teh day cares around me do $18-$28 a day.
    Lakoia

Answer by Lakoia at 2:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I pay my daycare $50/day and I still send a lunch along. Not sure where you live (rates are different in different areas) but I think that a family caring for your child is a wonderful thing. I'm sorry if $ became an issue. I am lucky to have a professional, who owned her own registered daycare for many years, watching my DD in her home with only one other little girl. And if DD doesn't like what I packed for her I never have to worry, she will make her something else. She gets to go swimming, to the library for storytime and all kinds of fun things. I hope your sister-in-law changes her mind. good luck
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 2:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• whatever you do, I encorage you to have a written agreement between the two of you; things like does she pay you on days she doesn't need you, what if you go out of town, what if you or your child is ill, her child is ill?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Sometimes hiring family members creates other issues.... If you two are already debating the financial side of the deal, then you might just consider backing out of the deal. Otherwise, you are risking more drama in the future...... It just depends on your situation and your relationship with that relative.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:23 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I offer full time care for chidlren 0-2 for 100 a week.
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 2:26 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Really depends on the area. Where we are $150/week is really the lowest you could find from a licensed provider. However, you're not licensed (I assume), so there is that to take into consideration. But you're also not a single adult in a room with 6-8 kids, he'll be getting a LOT more one-on-one care.

When we were with a licensed provider, she implied that she got some amount of government money that covers the food. I don't exactly know the details there. DD was still breastfeeding (so pump and bottles while in day care) at that time, so we didn't send food over with her.

We're currently with a friend of ours who was already watching her own grand children. We LOVE her. She treats our DD just like any other member of the family, which is so wonderful! I usually drop her off about 8:30, DH picks her up about 5:30, and I send over breakfast and snacks. (She says it's easier to feed all the kids the same lunch)

coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 2:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2010