what is a breastfeeding necklace?

i just saw an add for one and it didn't explain what it was... does it have an actual function or is it just a marketing gimmick?

Asked by elizabiza at 2:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both of my kids had nursing necklaces. I had them made from somebody I found online, and they were adorable, had their names on them. Both boys LOVED them, and it kept them on the breast longer when they hit that phase where they wanted to look around all the time.

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• a nursing necklace? basically something for the baby to play with/look at while nursing. Any brightly colored necklace will do

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• just a necklace for baby to grab and play with while nursing.

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Hmmmm..I thought a nursing necklace had the little cubes on it that say left or right, to help you remember which side you nursed last from.. At least that's the kind I've seen.

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Oh cool, I learned something today!!!

Answer by keisha613 at 2:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• that sounds pretty cool

Answer by rileymommy at 2:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Depending on what kind of necklace you get, it can also serve as a distracting toy if you get stuck waiting in line, the dr's office, etc for a long time. I tied one of DS's teething keys on a string and kept that around my neck when we went out; that thing saved us from many meltdowns! I certainly didn't mind that it was harder for him to drop on the floor either.

Answer by xtwistedxlovex at 1:29 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• oh cool :) glad to know

Comment by elizabiza (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Aug. 17, 2010