Why is it as mother's, its put upon us to raise children and teach them right, but when it comes to knowing what best for them, ie...school, food, doctor, ect. We're told we don't know what we're talking about? Please tell me how is that?

I'm tired of a doctor telling me I'm over exaggerating over something or someone telling me I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to my children, mean while I'm the one whos with them all day, and they (doctors, teacher, ect) think they know my child after seeing them for a few mintutes or so. Who are they?

(This is just a random question, one of life's questions, nothing personal)

inezmm2000

Asked by inezmm2000 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Schooling is a personal choice but unless you are a doctor then you can not possibly know all the information that he does. Not only is the doctor very knowlegable in what he does but he also experiences on a daily basis different scenarios from many different patients. Perhaps the doctor was putting your worries at ease when he told you that you were exagerating.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I guess it goes down to education and exsperience. Some people believe they know everything because of the amount of school them have behind them. The other day I went to the doctor and had to tell the student dr. that what my son had was a ring worm, and she didn't know what that was, kind of scary
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 2:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• That's what I'm saying, doctors misdiagnose things everyday, and some things can't be determind in a few brief minutes, I'm NOT a doctor, but I know that!
    inezmm2000

Comment by inezmm2000 (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Find a different doctor that trusts a mother knows her child. I have never had that prob with doctors, I tell them my concern and they check it out. 90% of the time I am right! The school doesn't want to tell me I am wrong about my kid.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• cuz maybe it takes more than one perspective of parenting, maybe dad has some input, as well?

Moms we may be, but we don't know everything and aren't always right in every thing and way we do stuff. Sometimes we have to accept help from others and accept others ideas on how to do things, even the kid's father could be right once in awhile, heaven forbid. LOL
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:47 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I completely understand. I have been in a few situations where I had to push the doctors to look into something, it happened I was right to do it those times. However, I have been wrong several times and it takes someone else to tell me why. Still, if you feel very strongly about something, don't let anyone else tell you what is right or wrong for your child. A mother's intuition can be very powerful and you should look into the situation more until you are satisfied with the outsome. Do have an open mind and listen to others, but don't take their word blindly.
    NaturalMomma219

Answer by NaturalMomma219 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I've had to put doctors and teachers in there place.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 5:04 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I too have had to put doctors and teachers and in their place; they've been wrong more times than they've been right.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 12:03 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It's always good to listen and try to see if what they're saying is right. But parents know best in general and should always go with their gut. If something does not feel right, always question it.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 2:48 AM on Aug. 20, 2010