Two year old activities

Hi im wondering what some activities you moms do with your kids all day? Im trying to schedule my two year olds day and besides meal times and getting ready for bed i dont know what to fill the space with. Hes not fond of crafts or coloring, hes a very active little guy likes to run, but has a hard time doing one thing for too long. (hes suspected of ADHD or Autisum they just dont know which yet) We dont have much money to go places or buy crazy new toys so any inexpensive ideas would be very helpful. well any ideas for day to day activities would be nice.

any suggestions moms?

Lakoia

Asked by Lakoia at 2:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Water play! In the bathtub, or outside with a bucket of water and some cups, plastic boats, etc. Edible play dough - you can google the recipe. When my son with autism was 2 he was a runner, so I found every gated playground in the area - gave me a few minutes to relax while he ran around! Any children's museums in the area?

Answer by missanc at 2:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Try cooking with your child! I know my 2 1/2 yr old daughter loves to get all messy doing that, it something that you could do just before bedtime. I don't know when or how much TV you watch, but try playing hide and seek, place what toys he does have around the house and help him find them, my daughter loved hunting for eggs, and got good at finding them. Also, to get into a routine of cleaning have him help. My daughter can push a vacuum cleaner forward and back, she's not great at it, but she loves doing it! If you start a cleaning routine it will help him stay active and at the same time you can get a lot done and make it fun for him too! Have him help you throw stuff away. If you try the cleaning thing try making a board for sticker and once one task is done have him put a sticker up next to it when you're done.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I have two sons the oldest has been diagnosed with Autism. The youngest is two. We go out. We have set and schedule we try as much as possible to follow it. In the morning we go to any of these places (on place only): park, library, mall, restaurant, Chuck E. Cheese, water park, walking/jogging, kids museums, zoo, etc. Some of these places offer free-admission during certain days and certain hours.

You could also arrange a get together with other moms with children of the same age. That's all I can think about now!
    Honestbest

Answer by Honestbest at 2:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Oh - some of the indoor inflatable playgrounds have free days too, check out the ones in your area! (like Pump It Up)

Answer by missanc at 2:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I love taking my 23 mo grandson out to eat at buffets for lunch. We take our time and sometimes stop at a store and mess around. We'll go to Target and look at the toys or something like that. We live in Tucson and he has head to toe eczema and can't be out in the hot. He meets people and socializes.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• this is my schedule with my son lets see if it helps you out: he wakes up at 7 i give him breakfast i change his pijamas and then we go off for a walk. usually at this time i do my close by arronds. we get home and i give him a snack and he goes off to play in his play room while i clean and cook. once i am done i give him his lunch and then i play with him for a little while. usually we play watever he feels like it so usually we end up playing with his little cars. then after we are done he gets a snack and we go outside usually when its not really hot i try to tak him outside to plays o he can run and everything someimes we play with a ball or with his littlecars again this tiem we do it outside. we usually wait forhubby to get home and when he gets home then we coe inside and we wat dinner. after dinner i shower him and usually we spend time together with daddy. then we get him ready to sleep and he sleeps
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 3:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• JMO, unless there is more going on than you are saying in your post I think it is crazy to diagnose a 2 yr old with ADHD...most 2 yr olds don't stick with things very long. Be cautious of trying to make a schedule and lean more towards a routine...anyway, maybe join a local playgroup? Playgrounds and nature parks are always great. The zoo is usually not too expensive if you bring your own drinks and snacks. Also check out this book called "the Power of Play.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Play-Spontaneous-Imaginative-Activities/dp/0738210536
    nkkk07

Answer by nkkk07 at 5:29 PM on Aug. 17, 2010