Law prohibiting funeral protesters (a la Westboro Baptist) overturned

A Federal Judge has ruled that Missouri's law banning protesters near military funerals is unconstitutional, claiming that it abridges free speach.

While I find the WBC protestors absolutly abhorent in every way, I don't think the state has any right to keep them from protesting. We have to uphold free speach, even if we don't like what is being said. What do you think about this ruling?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/08/16/missouri.funeral.protests.ruling/?hpt=T2

DEpley

Asked by DEpley at 2:47 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I haven't read the Missouri law, but I've read the rulings on others that have been overturned. The problem is in the way people are writing the laws - they're throwing in everything plus the kitchen sink and taking them too far. There was one written so vaguely it would basically be a crime to protest anything, anywhere in the state, if at any time a funeral procession drove past the protest on the way to the cemetery. There are ways to write these laws and still be constitutional - the judicial rulings on them basically explain how, by saying what they object to and what they don't. Maybe now Missouri can go back and write a realistic law that meets the criteria the court spelled out two years ago.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Like I said, I abhor the WBC, but if I want to protect MY right to free speech, I have to protect theirs. If there is a way to protect the families from their bile without restricting free speech, I would love that!

Me too....and so far many Americans have stepped up and stepped IN FRONT of the A-HOLES at the funerals..like a few biker gangs and a Church in NY.....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I can't really find the words that would reflect my feelings about protesting at a funeral. I understand that people have the right to express themselves but there is a time and place and a funeral DEFINTELY IS NOT IT. As for protesting and a funeral procession starts going by....why can the protesters not simply lower their signs and be quiet for the few minutes it takes. It seems there is very lttle respect for others these days (and those that show the least amount of respect for others seem to demand a whole lot for themselves)....and simple common courtesy is fast becoming a thing of the past. It's very sad when people feel the need to make laws to insure behavior that should be, if nothing else, a matter of decency, common sense and just plain old good manners.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 3:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I think it is so disrepectful to the familys of the dead. If there were nosey protesters intrupting the funeral of someone I loved I would freak out and people would get hurt
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 2:54 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Yet they insist on having a "bubble" around abortion clinics where you can't even stand much less pray or even quietly object.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• i think it stinks.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Its sad that we have to have a law stopping people from being completely hateful and full of hate.

But I guess that is where most laws stim from in the first place :(

I feel sad for the families that have to deal with them during a time of grief!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Once again, those who tow the line of technicality of The Constitution past common sense, have obviously never been affected by the protesting. For if you had, you would be singing a different tune.

Again, I am reminded of the saying that "Conservatives are merely liberals who've been mugged!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• itsmesteph11...never thought about that....but totally true!

There should be a "bubble" around this type of protesting as well!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My confusion with the freedom of speech outside the political arena has been where does it end? You don't have the right to be insulting, abusive, harassing, and hurtful in the name of freedom of speech. The intent was to give citizens the right to speak out against their government without free of being thrown in jail. It doesn't mean you can say (by mouth or written language) anything you want in any way you want. That interfere with someone right, for lack of a better word, to pursue happiness, for lack of better term. The Westboro Church does not have the "right" to protest at a person's funeral. It is tacky, unfeeling, and just plain mean to deliberately cause such emotional distress when there is such grief.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/697152

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2010