Need snack and Breakfast Ideas

Everyday for daycare I have to send Breakfast, AM Snack, Lunch and a PM Snack. I find myself sending the same things over and over again. I want to give her some variety. Her lunches are usually dinner left overs and a yogurt. But I need some snack and breakfast ideas and you ladies are just the ones to help us out. Our grocery budget isnt huge so please keep that in mind with your ideas...... She is 14 months old and isnt picky at all.

navyjen

Asked by navyjen at 2:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• breakfast: Oatmeal, yogurt and granola, boiled egg and fruit, cereal/ milk, cream of wheat or grits, pancakes/syrup or jam waffle, scramble an egg with before you leave the house, quiche (so easy to make)
    Snacks: dry cereal, fruit, cheese/crackers, peanut butter yogurt dip (1/2 PB 1/2 plain yogurt cinnamon to taste)/apples, cheese-its, turkey slices/crackers, pita chips/hummus, apple sauce, rice cakes, bread/jam or PB, boiled egg, plain whole wheat pasta, the occasional cookies or fruit snacks
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• strawberries (you can grow them at home the only expense the plant and it fruits over and over again, just keep it inside), some kind of nuts, lunch is fine, for breakfast try cooking something the night before like pancakes or something from scratch or that you can buy in bulk and use for about a month. Yogurt is a great idea, try switching up flavors though. crackers and cheese (if you can get WIC do it because they will help with expenses a child can get it up to the age of 5), apples sliced, banana anything little that you can but more than one at a time. Pineapple, you can cut it and freeze it in baggies so there is little prep time for grab and go snacks.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 2:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Fruit is a given, you can also make granola bars at home far cheaper (and healthier) than buying them. Cheese cubes, veggies sticks (carrots or celery). Any combination of those work for snack or a meal if you use more varieties. For breakfast, yogurt w/ granola and fruit mixed in covers all your bases and can be packed in a single container.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:01 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• string cheese, crackers, apple slices or any fruit, carrots, cookies,
    my kids love cheese and crackers and i always keep bananas around cuz one they are cheap and two they can eat them all in no time. i like to get better chedder or cheez it crackers and they arent all that bad priced. also for cookies i buy the cheap store brand sandwich cookies and give the kids 2 cookies for a snack once a day and maybe after dinner. you could also try a small pb sandwich for a snack. as for breakfast mine always eat cereal or insist on a pb and j sandwich so those prolly wouldnt help much. prolly just a yogurt and fruit would do for breakfast.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 3:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• blueberries, fruit cups, whole grain crackers, cheese sticks, bananas
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 3:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• When I had my 1st baby I took my baby to a daycare that the parents provided food. I kept a box of rice krispies there with her name on it and brought in a thermos of milk. That was breakfast......I also bought canned fruit and kept it there for them to open and make it last a few days. I would bring in small cans of "chunky" brand soup, they would drain the juices and give her the contents.
    I did sandwiches cut into 4's and juice boxes. Veggies would be canned or frozen with her name on it and would last all week. They had a fridge just for the moms with baskets for each baby that kept the fridge organized.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• mmm i like giving my son veggies, and fruits but they can get a bit expensive depending on the season. Gerber has the yogurt bites that my son loves because they melt in your mouth. But snacks that you normally would eat work well too like pretzels or crackers. or you can get one of those waffle makers that is shaped like sticks and make those for a snack. pancake mix is normally cheap. and throw some frozen fruit into those if you want to mix it up a bit. mmm raisins, nuts, chips (but look for healthier ones) granola bars, chopped up apples is a fave of my son, you can put peanut butter on the apples if they need some more flavor ^__-

as for breakfast, hard boiled eggs, shell them and cut them up, waffles with fruits, cereal with milk just put them in two different containers for travel. pancakes with butter, or yogurt with granola.

http://lilduckduck.com/toddler-breakfast-ideas/144
    http://www.snacksfortoddlers.com/
    Lakoia

Answer by Lakoia at 5:32 PM on Aug. 17, 2010