Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

please help i dont know what to do about our situation!

Im a SAHM and my BF of 4 years pays most of the bills. i work part time and cover smaller expenses and small bills like internet. and i also pitch in on other bills when they get excessive. but right now we are slowly but surely going broke and he is ready to move out of our rented home bc he may not have money to cover the rent plus bills next month. problem is our only other option is splitting up and living with our parents (neither house has room for our fam of 4) and equally dividing the kids at night. but my mom really doesnt want that to happen, she would rather i live in public housing(projects) than move back home even if its temp. she thinks i should keep moving forward and try to find housing but i dont have enough time. even more hours of me working wouldnt help bc i only work at a grocery store and dont make the kind of money he does. but with his elderly grandmother depending on him for $ as well he cant take it.


Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • I do think that you should try to get into the public housing and keep your family together. Not all public housing is 'the projects' . I'm not really sure why he's paying for his grandmother too, I'm sure he's feeling a lot of financial strain with a large family to care for.

    Answer by slw123 at 3:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

  • Look at your budget and see what you can live without...extra phone, internet, may not LIKE it but rather than to go broke or other alternatives, you cut expenses. Sell a car, move to a smaller place...

    Answer by Jademom07 at 3:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

  • It sounds like his grandmother needs to look for someone else to support her and he needs to focus on keeping his family together.

    Answer by DesertRose75 at 3:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

  • If BF is already helping grandma, can you live where she lives? Either move in with her or move her in with you. If she gets some income for housing/living expenses, then you can combine that with what you two bring already. Plus since he wants to care for his grandma it would be good for her to be with family and have a home cooked meal, ect. Not to mention since you are SAHM already, she will have extra company and/or care that an aging person often needs.

    I do not think this will be an EASY solution, but with everything going on... it sounds like it would be in the best interest for all of you.

    Answer by Niki_sd at 3:32 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

  • Can't you two move into a cheaper rental?

    Answer by louise2 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

  • Does his grandmother get any help from the government? If not then you should look into that. Why not try to get some help from the government (like Foodstamps, WIC). If you would qualify for public housing than you would also qualify for them. If it was me I would try to get into public much as you might not like it at least your family would stay together.

    Good luck!

    Answer by colethky at 3:12 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

  • Will they let you live in public housing with your boyfriend? It is not going to go well moving in with your mother since she wants you to go elsewhere. Why would your boyfriend be moving out and leaving you with the kids? Maybe you could find a night job. Or he could get a second job.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 3:14 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

  • what's wrong with public housing. it's public housing or being homeless. which one you prefer? check -out your options. if your boyfriend's grandma not living in her own home,- she ( the grandmother) can get apply for senior housing. the rent ans everything will be cheaper. please check this stuff out on your computer and check in the city where you live to apply for housing.

    Answer by moxiema at 3:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

  • Have you ever looked into Network marketing. It would be same as u working part time, but you could find one that pays better and able to stay home with children even more honey. I would love to share with you my journey working from home part time and making grea tcorporate income. Hope this helps

    Answer by arbnmom at 3:43 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

  • I like the living with grandma options some of the others have suggested. Here's another suggestion: You say you live in a house now, what if you rented an apartment? It would be pretty small and cramped, but if the rest is a lot less, the extra money you save every month can go toward paying the bills. Also, it might be time to start looking for another job.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 4:05 PM on Aug. 17, 2010