What is the BIGGEST misconception about your "special" child?

I get VERY frustrated when people think they know about autism and they obviously dont!

My biggest pet peeve is when people assume autistic kids are not smart! In fact, its the opposite, lots of autistic kids are VERY intellegent, my dd could read at age 2.

The other is when people assume they are not loving! My dd is always hugging, kissing, cuddling with us. She is more loving than my "typical" son!

What gets under your skin about your "special" kid and people who "think" they know?

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 3:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• The thing is that I think most people don't realise that autism is a spectrum disorder and that because they know or have seen one child who is "this" way, that not all kids are. I work with teens with special needs, including some with autism and not one of them is like another. Sure some of the kids are more like the stereotypical "autistic kid" people expect, but not even most are like that. What would surprise some people is how funny some of the kids are, I love being able to spend time with all my students.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• We get annoyed when people assume that because our daughter does not communicate well, that she does not understand everything that is said within her hearing...believe me, she does.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 3:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Wow! Many questions about Autism today...

People assume that Autistic Children can't do basic things independently.
    Honestbest

Answer by Honestbest at 3:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• when they think our children are "spoiled" and think a spanking or timeout is needed
    nicksmommy1000

Answer by nicksmommy1000 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I second the belief that they aren't smart. My family still talks baby talk to my 9 yr old son with autism. It pisses both him and me off!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• my son is speech delayed. What gets on my nerves is the professionals telling me "oh this is a red flag for autism, that is a red flag for autism"...he's only 27 months old. I get so much support from friends and family, then the professionals bring me down again...I'm sick of it. Everything is a race these days.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I get really annoyed when ppl nwill take my other two kids with them on outings, but my autstic kiddo must stay here. I know that he is harder to deal with, believe me! But sometimes, I think that it is just not fair for him. Also, that ppl think he is not smart or is hard of hearing because he does not talk. He lets me know when he wants/needs something. And can figure out just about anything. I love him to pieces!
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 4:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I get annoyed when people make assumptions about my son based on how he looks instead of listening to what I tell them about his medical needs. My son looks 'typical', but the reality is that if he does too much and basic symptoms are ignored, he can end up in medical crisis very quickly. What is just an annoyance for your average person (too warm, too cold, tired) can become life-threatening for him. His functional levels can change from day to day, or even hour to hour, too, so what he can do today he may not be able to do tomorrow or an hour from now. For those who do not know him well, they assume he can do much more than he really can, therefore push him too hard and it is my son that pays for it. For every bit of energy he expends, there is a physical cost to him, either immediately or later, and the 'later' is difficult for people to grasp, so they don't believe and will try to push him harder, until he collapes.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:27 PM on Aug. 17, 2010