why is learning to knit so hard??

dragonlady320

Asked by dragonlady320 at 3:30 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I preferred knitting. I just can't get into crochet even though I'd really like to. Knitting is easier to learn if you have something showing you.

Answer by Bmat at 3:33 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It takes time to build up muscle memory. The longer you keep at it the easier it will become. I have noticed that with those who previously crochet, that the continental method of knitting can be easier to learn. There are several different methods of casting on and at least two basic styles of knitting. Try them out and pick what feels more comfortable and stick with it. It took me over two months of daily knitting to get used to plain knitting. But it did get easier. Search out the video sites for help and please don't get discouraged. The learning curve is a bit steep.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:34 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I did learn to knit by using a book, but I never enjoyed knitting like I do crocheting. I think it's because if I mess up, I only have to worry about picking up one stitch instead of a whole hook full of them.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:32 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It is not hard... don't give up. You need to find someone to SHOW you.... sometimes it just takes seeing it done to figure it out! Go to the library and get a hold of some of the instructional DVDs... really, they help a bunch! I love knitting...most times can't stop.. knit knit knit...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:33 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Maybe that's the problem. I can crochet like whoa. But knitting...I can cast on. : )
    dragonlady320

Comment by dragonlady320 (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I knit using a knifty knitter loom so I have it easy lol. I found a liking to crocheting lately. I'm sticking to that for a while.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It's hard because it new to you, the learning curve will take time. Just keep at it. It does get easier.
    xpandyourmind

Answer by xpandyourmind at 6:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• thanks ladies! i too, have a knifty knitter. i rock out on that just fine. but i really want to learn how to knit. its been a long time learning.
    dragonlady320

Comment by dragonlady320 (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Aug. 22, 2010