How to deal with your child starting school 2 days a week at 3 years old?

arbnmom

Asked by arbnmom at 3:37 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You don't send they to school. Kids aren't ready for school at that age. They aren't ready for formal learning and their immune systems aren't mature and they can get ill easily.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I just explained to my son and took him. He loved it. He was 3 when he went 2 days a week. He NEVER got sick. LOL He enjoyed it and had fun. They said he was super smart, and ready for kindergarten unlike most of the kids there.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Oye Vey Gailll. It's 2 days a week! He will probably have a BLAST! If he is an only child then it is a great idea for him to interact with other children. The child could get sick going to the grocery store! So arbnmom, I know you are asking for support so I think that it is a great idea for your little guy/girl. My DS is 3 1/2 and he has been ready to go for months and I feel a little bad not sending him sooner (he starts in Sept.). He is soooo excited and it is going to be really good for him. The poor little guy has no friends to play with so this is an adventure for him. Sure as Moms we get sad to see them go but it is for their benefit! Your a good Momma! Don't let the Turkeys get you down!! LOL :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:46 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I just don't understand why kids go to preschool to go to pre-k or 4yr old K to go to regular kindergarten. I homeschool, but back before I made that choice I knew I wouldn't send my kids to preschool till they were at least 4.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 3:47 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Galli--why do you insist on scaring everyone with "death and destruction" posts?! I've been on this site long enough to know that you most certainly didn't practice all that you preach!

OP--The program is for what, about 2 hours?! Your child will be fine! S/he will learn their ABC's, 123's, colors, shapes, sing songs, have a snack, have books read to them, do arts and crafts, play games, learn classroom rules, how to play with others, follow directions, and then it will be time to go home!

Really, it's just enough time for mom to get a few errands done, and have coffee or lunch with friends. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• thanks for your support. It is only a moms day out program and he is an only child. I just know that he needs a little structure and to be around other children to form relationships with little friends. He just ran to put his bookbag and mat in his cubby this morning while I was stanfing with camera and video camera in hand! ha! It was a big deal for me and him both. I am glad I made the choice to put him in. It is only 2 days a week and only until 3:30! Cannot wait to go pick him up and hear how he loved his first day! Thanks again ladies!
    arbnmom

Comment by arbnmom (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I sent mine because he was an only child and I stayed home full-time and he never left my side. I did not want him going through the crying and begging and whining for me when he started kindergarten. I wanted him used to going and used to being away from me and in a scheduled learning environment. If I had waited, he wouldn't have been learning the first day of kindergarten, but, missing me.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Just talk to him. I sent my son 2 days/week for 2 hours a day at 2.5 years old for socialization.

Gail: My son is 4 years old and has only been sick 3x in 4 years ! He has attended preschool since he was 2.5 years old. He loves it! Just b/c you do not agree with it...does not mean other moms will. You are a typical person who thinks if everyone does not do things according to you...they are wrong! Get over yourself..you remind me of my parents. I am so sick of this "Do i say and do or you are wrong crap"
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:29 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Gail what are you talking about???? LOL

Any who - I will be sending my DD to a wonderful pre school, for 3 days a week. She'll be 4 soon. She is looking SO FORWARD to it. She's been in a daycare program since being one, but will now be in a more class like setting, with kids ONLY her age. I look forward to this, for it will be a fabulous experience for her. It's very parent oriented too. I get to volunteer in the room a few times, and chaperone 2 field trips.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:41 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My three year old granddaughter has lived with me since her mother died eight months ago. Last year she went to a three day school and loved it. She definitely thrived. This year she is attending the same school but in a 5 day program. She will be four in December and we still have an afternoon nap. The school has a lot of parent involvement.
    I read an answer of yours on another question. You talked about network marketing and income potential for a stay at home. How can I contact you to find out more?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2010