What is deism?

I recently met some Native American Indians.I can respect their beliefs and still keep my own. I am not prejudiced.But they kept trying to get me and my family to participate in their ceremonies.We didn't.but they were really pushy about it.Like wear their beads, and dance with them.I don't mean to offend anyone.But is this normal?And what is deism?I thought it would be offensive for us to pretend we were one of them when we are not.

evelynwest

Asked by evelynwest at 3:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Deism is the belief in gods. Atheism, no belief in gods, polytheism belief in many gods, monotheism, belief in one God.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Deism is a belief in a supreme being based on nature. Meaning believing in God in a rational sense. You may HAVE offended them by not participating. It wouldn't have meant you are all the sudden a different religion and belief. YES it is normal for Native Americans to have a ceremony wearing beads and dancing.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:01 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• i'm really surprised that they would try so hard to include you in the ceremonies. although i practice a native tradition, the most well-known elder of my lineage had problems for many years because her life was about teaching white people native american traditions. many native americans had a problem with this. in any case, the only people i've ever encountered who tried to push their religion on me were christian... interesting. anyway... the ceremonies i have participated in in both my own and other religions (including christian) were very uplifting to me as i allowed myself to be open to the experience. why are you uncomfortable participating? you don't have to do anything disloyal to your own beliefs.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:40 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• They probably were just happy to be able to share their joy with you. Just like if I was at a church service where there was quire singing and every one was clapping, etc. I'd clap along to honor them, but it doesn't mean I am worshiping their God. I would have LOVED to have been in your position and embraced it to the fullest. It is an honor to be asked to be a part of something special, in any religion!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:12 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• *** Choir*** I meant Choir, not quire!!! LOL Ohps

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:13 AM on Aug. 18, 2010