HELP!! My 3 year old daughter throws tantrums that are uncontrolable.

She will scream at me, hit me, throw things. And she will NOT stop until daddy comforts her, or she goes to sleep. I tried everything from taking away toys, time-out, sending her to her room. She does not mind me at all. Only daddy. Anything I tell her, she just gives me dirty looks and does whatever it is she was told not to do. Her favorite word is NO. Is this something that will pass? Something that needs to be evaluated? My son never went through this at the age of 3. Im stuck

bjsgrl

Asked by bjsgrl at 7:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My gut feeling is that her daddy has to do something. If she doesn't respect you, daddy won't comfort you either. That's the message you want to give her. It's ok for her to love daddy very very much, but it's not ok for her to disrespect you and expect loving from daddy. As much as I would like to tell you that this might be just a stage, I know a girl who's in kindergarden who acts just like that. I'm sure you don't want your daughter to be like that. If you want to stop that, you and your partner has to talk and be on the same page. Just like dealing with any tantrums, neither of you should rush to her when she starts crying or doesn't stop crying. It'll be very very hard, but it's tough love. You'll have to be strong. Your daughter will thank you 30 years from now. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Maybe your daughter does not like her father very much. She might feel that her father does not show her as much love as he possibly should. You might even want to have a smooth, civil conversation with your child. She might explain to you what exactly is bothering her. In the meantime, you might want to consider checking out this website called Nogginpower2. One thing I learned from Nogginpower2 is that they offer a great deal of packets, such as Discipline, Getting Great Grades, Making New Friends and Improving Social Skills. These manuals should therefore help you better communicate with your three-year-old. I hope this helps. Thank you and good luck.
    paulacolls19715

Answer by paulacolls19715 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• a coworker once told me that when her daughter gets out of control she picks her up and puts her in the shower and turn the water on (cold) and after a few times of that she stopped the tantrums. I personally wouldn't do that, but then right now with my son, he knows that the tantrums don't phase me. So he can scream and do whatever, im not going to give in to what he wants when he wants it. time out and Ive been putting him in his high chair and turning it to face the wall and i tell him i dont see him i dont hear him for so many minutes. good luck
    Midnightduck515

Answer by Midnightduck515 at 12:50 AM on Oct. 13, 2008