pre-k and your work schedule? or did/do you stay at home?

I'm a sahm. My son is 27 m/o so we have some time. I will be enrolling him in a head start-type program when he's 3. It won't be a long day, so I will continue being a sahm. It will also be a good warm up for when the real time comes. I'm just curious, when your child went to pre-k how did it effect your work schedule? Is it worth getting a pt job? Or would it be a waste of time since a pre-k day isnt too long? and what about Kindergarten? How long is their day?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• I am taking this school year off, so I'll be home to send my 4 year old to a pre school program 3 days a week.

If I were working this school year, she'd continue on with her FT daycare program, for I'd have no way of getting her to and from a PT pre school program.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• kindergarten should be a whole school day. The pre classes usually get out between 1130 and 1230
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:01 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I have also worked around my family so I can be with them as much as possible. I worked for a school district and had the same hours as my children when they were younger and now I am a Rep with Juice Plus. My life my way for really good pay.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 4:32 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I always worked pt-since before they were born. My kids attended pre-school+ daycare at a very nice center. They both went to all day Kindergarten with after school care, again a couple of days a week. My husband would take them to school in the morning and I would pick them up at around 3:45. At 23 and 19 they seem unscathed by their experiences.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:37 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My son will be starting pre-school in a few weeks. I've been a SAHM since he was born. I recently started working from home, so I have the best of both worlds. I'm going to available whenever he needs me, but I'm also able to help us out financially. It's up to you if you want to get a job, you just need to think about days when he's not feeling well. I look forward to be able to volunteer in his class. Hope this helps a bit.

Erika
    www.OurCEOMom.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 4:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I stay home with my kids. I have been able to work my schedule around my family with no problems!! I sell Scentsy!!!! We gavfe our kids the option to choose school or home school. They both chose homeschool for now. One is Kindergarten and the other is preschool. If you have any questions just let me know.

https://my2scents.scentsy.us
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 6:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I WAH, so my schedule completely revolves around the kids..our Pre-k program is the same length as the KDG program both half day. Worth getting a job, well if they are doing 1.2 days its only like 2.5 hrs long...so youd work 7 a week..Id say not worth it.
    If you wanted to you should work from home, best of both worlds
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 7:02 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I just sent my son who is 3 to his first moms day out program to get him ready for pre K next year. It is great for us both because I have a part time work at home job that allows me to make my own hours and when he is home I can devote time to him and make great money working when he is at school! its a win win!
    arbnmom

Answer by arbnmom at 1:01 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You kids will need you more at home between the ages of 12 and 18, then they do now. Now is the time to establish your career, and get a great jump on savings for retirement and college.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:52 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I echo what rkoloms said ... it's so true and exactly what I did/am doing.

FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 10:21 AM on Aug. 18, 2010