Flour bugs! ewe

Anyone ever had this problem? I had them in all of my food in the pantry a month ago. I threw everything out and had an exterminator. Hope they don't come back! Have you ever had this?

MLM0503

Asked by MLM0503 at 3:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I keep all that in my fridge...no bugs for me. Flour, sugar, cornmeal...all of it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I don't have the room or I would. lol
    MLM0503

Comment by MLM0503 (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It is best to keep flour in the freezer if you don't use it up quickly. Cornmeal should always be stored in the refrigerator. If you choose to keep flour and sugar in the pantry (I do), make sure it is in an airtight container instead of its original packaging. Anyone can get flour bugs...don't beat yourself up about it. I bought tall plastic, pourable storage containers ~ which I think are for cereal ~ but I use them for my different types of flours and sugars. A five pound pack fits in them. They work out great and no bugs...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• You actually bring them home in the dry goods. The eggs are ever present, and when the stuff has been around long enough, they lo and behold hatch out. Buy smaller quantites that you can use up more quickly. Even if you seal it up air tight, they are still in there. I threw away some crackers that they had hatched out in just a day or two ago.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:07 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My Mom had them when I was a kid, so I keep all that stuff in my fridge, flour, pancake mix, corn meal. I put all my cereals in plastic containers they can't get into & my dog food. We got zapped by ants brought home from the grocery store I think last year, really made me mad.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Put your grains & flours in the freezer for a few days before putting them on your pantry shelf and you shouldn't have any more problems with weevils. The deep freeze kills the eggs so that they won't hatch.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• You can also put bay leaves in your cornmeal or flower which will keep the bugs out.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 11:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• clean better, sorry but that is the truth, and I have lived in all regions! Missouri, Georgia, North Carolina, etc. you wont get them if you clean well!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 19, 2010