If a 4 year old deos not go to 4k will she be behind in 5k?

My daughter is 4 years old. She is my only child and i wasnt ready to send her to 4k this year i decided to wait till regular 5k for her to go to school. I dont want her to be behined the other kids in 5k. Deos 4k teach the same things as 5k? How many kids usually attened 4k ? Is there anyone who chose not to send there child to 4k and was the child behined the other kids who went to 4k? If a child deos not go to 4k will she be behined in 5k?

NicNat8505

Asked by NicNat8505 at 4:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you work with her at home, learning colors and counting and her ABC's and other simple activities like that, she will be just fine.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I've never heard of 4K before. You don't need to worry about a child being behind in K. It should be for fun!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:40 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• depends
    we put out child in daycare part time at 2 because we knew she was having issues
    and now
    my child going to 3 k
    because of delays
    and she will most likely be behind in 4k and 5k
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Kids learn IN SCHOOL and there is no need to worry. Pre-K is usually just a way for kids to socialize and learn to payattention , listen and learn manners. Kids learn to read in First Grade. Before that, it is just basic info....letters,colors,numbers and manners.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 4:43 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• She will be just fine. Make time for play dates and other types of socialization for her and take time to read and work with her on her own.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 5:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Never heard of it....My son is 5 and starts Kindergarten on Tuesday of next week... he did not attend preschool and he will be just fine... I taught him the basics and he is good to go.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 5:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Kindergarten is not what it was 20 years ago.
    95% of the kindergarteners in our area have gone to pre-k. They know their numbers, can count to 100, some by 2's, write their letters, know their shapes, can recognize 30 plus sight words. They know the sounds of letters so that they can sound out words.
    When we sign the kids up for kindergarten they interview and "test" them so they can place them properly.
    There is a federally sponsored program for preschool in 40 plus states. This is not Headstart. Preschool has been found to be extremely important to the development and education of our children. This is not to say that you could not accomplish the same at home.
    There is so much to learn in kindergarten. I will definitely help the childs self esteem to know as much as the other children. It could be difficult for a child to be in a class where the majority of the kids knew their letters, etc. and they did not.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• As long as YOU are working with her on shapes, colors, letters, and numbers, I am sure she'll be just fine. :)
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I agree with TOOTOObusy. My son needs to know how to read to start kindergarten here. If he does not...he is classified as behind.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• A lot of people I know didn't go to preschool, they are all doing just fine as adults and did quite well in school.

Just make sure YOU work with her at least on her colors, numbers, letters, tying shoes, zipping coat, etc. My son isn't going to 3 yr old preschool even though I'm being pressured by numerous people to do so. Why? He already knows more numbers, colors, letters, etc. than the 3yr olds that are going who's parents have been pushing me to send my ds. He will go to 4yr old preschool, but that is mainly because I remember going and LOVED it! Also around here K is all day 5 days a week and going cold turkey from 24/7 at home with mom to full 7hr days 5 days a week at school would be quite the adjustment. I think the 3 day a week preschool would help him transition better into that schedule imho, but that has very little to do with being "behind".
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:13 PM on Aug. 18, 2010