A natural remedy to remove residue in my hair??

I used some Suave Hairspray a few weeks back (have been using it for years actually), this time it left a residue in my hair and my DD’s. Is there anatural remedy I can use to remove it, without buying a clarifying shampoo?? (money's tight) Thanks for the help!! ;o)

Morgain

Asked by Morgain at 4:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• vinegar

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• straight,then rinse well. once its dry it wont stink

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Throw it on there straight. It will remove it just fine. If it can clear rinse my clothes .... your hair will be squeaky clean!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Are you sure it's the hairspray? As a stylist I can't tell you, how many people come to me thinking it's just hairspray when it's actually damaged hair that needs protien and moisture. The reason I'm saying this is because if you use something to cut through build up and it isn't really the issue, it can cause a lot of damage. Suave hairspray has high alcohol content, meaning it removes moisture from your hair, your hair can't hold protien without moisture, making it feel really gross!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I don't use shampoo or conditioner at all. I use 1 TBSP baking soda in 1 cup water as a shampoo (now I don't have to use it every time I wash my hair) and 1 TBSP vinegar in 1 cup of water as a conditioner. My "shampoo" will remove the residue and any extra oils from the hair. My "conditioner" would help correct the PH balance of your hair. 

BOLD = the answer to you question =-)

hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 4:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• White Vinegar
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 4:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• hmm.. vinegar... I didn't think of that one!! Thanks!! I almost tried lemon juice. Should I try it straight or watered down??

Morgain

Comment by Morgain (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Yes I am sure it was Hairspray I double checked. It is only on my bangs, which are not permed. For my 6 yr old DD it's only where I put the hair spray to hold her "whispy" hair from bugging her. It's a white flaky type stuff that you can see on the hair strands, like in the middle and on the tips. It's been washing out a little bit each day.... but I'd like it gone!! Thanks for the input everyone... will try the vinegar in the morning ;o)

Morgain

Comment by Morgain (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• You need the natural oils in your hair. If you use something that acidic all the time it makes your oil glands panick and make too much oil. Neutral PH for hair products should be between 6.5 and 7.5 on the scale. Vinegar and baking soda are around 13 to 14 on the same scale. That's up there with bleach and perm solution. A decent shampoo should contain surfactants that remove the dirt but not natural oils that you need and balance things out. Try back to basics or paul mitchell shampoo 1, they are affordable, last forever and are safe. You can get them at a smart style, or similar salon for under $10.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Thanks Musicmom80, but I don't think the vinigar will hurt to try just once. I really don't want to go out and buy special shampoo. But thank you for the concern!! ;o)

Morgain

Comment by Morgain (original poster) at 5:01 PM on Aug. 17, 2010