My dream scared me so bad. What could it mean?

Last night I had a dream that I was in the dentist and had the cotton thing they put in your mouth (I have really bad gag reflexes). I started choking on the cotton in my dream and woke up out of my dream coughing really hard and gagging like someone was choking me. I have never had this happen before. Could it be just a coincidence that I was choking in my dream and in real life?

missthang42001

Asked by missthang42001 at 4:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Health

• When you start choking or coughing in your sleep and you need to wake up your brain lets you know by way of dreams sometimes. You have a hard time with dentists because of the gag reflex so that is what your brain associated when you had the problem. I dream weird things when I need to wake up because of things like that.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 5:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• How did your mouth/throat feel when you woke up? Not to be funny but if you was sleeping with your mouth open the air could have dried it out and caused you to get cotton mouth and to choke on the dryness from it.
    Like I said I'm not trying to be funny by saying this. I happens to me somtimes.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 5:02 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I think it's just your brain taking out the garbage, and it probably means nothing. It's kind of like you hear music in your dream and wake up to the radio on. Maybe you were associating the feeling of gagging with your dream. I think you are okay :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:02 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Yes my mouth was dry when I woke up I was coughing so hard my eyes were watering. I never realized I slept so hard. I kinda reminded me of a Nightmare on Elm Street movie thats what scared me the most.
    missthang42001

Comment by missthang42001 (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2010