I have trouble cooking....

Any suggestions on what I can do to improve

noahsmommy12908

Asked by noahsmommy12908 at 5:12 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Cooking goes more smoothly if you do it in steps.
    1. find and read recipe, hang it somewhere it won't get lost or spilled on. I have clips on my range hood
    2. gather ingredients
    3. cut what needs it, measure everything
    4. line up your cut and measured stuff, in order you add it in

Reread the recipe a couple times as you do this so you don't miss anything. I love to cook and get compliments, BUT I'm really bad about not seeing parts of the recipe that are critical, like marinate overnight in the fridge.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:23 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• You have to start with the basics and build on them. Practice one thing until you get the hang of it - watch videos online or cooking shows to see how you do it. Have all your ingredients and tools ready before you touch any bowls or pans. Once you can make something alone and have it turn out right every time, then worry about making two things at once. Trying to make a bunch of things at once and have them ready at the same time is impossible if you haven't got the science of making each component down first.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• dont put on such a high heat and use the timer. read all directions, dont leave the kitchen when something is cooking. and dont fuss over it so bad ie stiring dont stir it to the point where you feel you need to stir it the whole time. but above all dont leave the kitchen and read all the directions.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 5:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Cooking what?
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:14 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I suck to sorry i cant help!!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 5:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Try recipes on boxes and websites like Bisquick and Kraft. They have people that try to make easy recipes and usually have pictures.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• just basic meals. I always manage to mess up something
    noahsmommy12908

Comment by noahsmommy12908 (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It really takes practice try using the boxes and some recipes that are simple. It's not really that hard once you get the hang of most of it. Good Luck
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Follow directions to the exact this includes cooking time. And practice makes perfect :).
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 5:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Shortcuts are rarely worth it... and understanding the science of cooking is helpful. That way, no matter what you are doing- you have an understanding of what is supposed to be happening. Read up on why eggs need water and oil- how mixing air into your butter and sugar makes better cookies... all those little steps are more important than we realize, but make sense when you understand the science of it all. :-)
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 5:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2010