Brushing baby's teeth?

Hi, I have a 9.5 old baby who has all but 4 teeth. I was told by my Health Nurse that I should start brushing his teeth from now?...what are your veiws on this. And how do you use toothpaste on a baby?

most apprecaitive. MommaBear335

MommyBear335

Asked by MommyBear335 at 5:14 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can get toddler toothpaste. thats what i use on my dd and she loves to have her teeth brushed!
    You can also get a little tooth brush that goes on your finger for first when you start to brush his/her teeth!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 5:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• No toothpaste needed. just use a wet washcloth and wipe them down. Or you could get a baby brush that you slip on your finger. They're soft (silicone, i think) and more nubby than bristly. You can buy training toothpaste, but we didn't start that until DS was 2.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I use baby toothpaste with out floride and before they had teeth I brushed there gums with water to remove the sugar and silva.
    I think it is wonderful to start brushing your children teeth early.
    1. they will have good brushing habits when there older
    2. they wont get bottle rot from having the sugars from juice and milk sitting on there teeth.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 5:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• There is toothpaste and tooth brushes that are made specifically for babies. My daughter loves getting her teeth brushed and I always let her chew on the tooth brush for a while afterward, for some reason she enjoys chewing on it.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 5:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I agree with DesertRose75. My DD loves chewing on her toothbrush so after we're done brushing them she chews on it for a little while.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 5:24 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I had baby toothpaste gel stuff and a finger toothbrush. It was clear and slipped on my finger.

Nutec, First Teeth Baby Toothpaste, Real Apple-Banana Flavor, 1.4 oz (40 g) w/Finger Toothbrush (Discontinued Item)

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:33 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• We use the Orajel for infants - no fluoride - that way it doesn't matter if he swallows it since he can't really spit it out :) I just wish he liked it more - I have a tough time brushing his 8 teeth :)
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 8:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I was using a finger brush until Jake starting biting my finger! Ouch! There was a infant/toddler set I bought with had a next step tooth brush that I now use. I just use non-flouride toothpaste you can get at any store. I brush before his morning nap and before bedtime (when i remember). I mad up a song and sing it when I brush him and this helps. have fun with it!
    JRB101009

Answer by JRB101009 at 8:46 AM on Aug. 19, 2010