mom's of kids with ADHD that take med's...

My son is 4 he has ADHD. He will be starting school this year....they might put him on med's for school, but im not to sure about it.

i wanna know did meds help? did they efect in a bad way or good? side effects?

DeeMarie87

Asked by DeeMarie87 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• DS was diagnosed last year. He is 7. He is on adderal. It took some time for him to get used to it, but the meds have made a world of difference. He actually got most improved student for the entire first grade last year. It does affect his appetite some, but not much anymore.

However, I think 4 is a bit young. Our ped, wont even consider it until they are 6. I wouldnt medicate for preK. Try changing his diet, elimanating all sugars, red dyes, etc.. first. Medication was our last resort.
    MommyBoha

Answer by MommyBoha at 5:30 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• While we are not on meds (yet) but the time will probably come that we will have to go that directionb. Have they talked to you about starting him later? Our ped said she doesn't want Max in kindergarten until he's almost 6, because decreased maturity level goes along with the ADHD. If his ADHD is significant enough that you are considering meds, I would highly recommend holding him a year before starting kindergarten.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• He will be starting Pre K
    DeeMarie87

Comment by DeeMarie87 (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Oh I defintely would not put him an ADHD meds for preschool unless he is having MAJOR problems after few months. Wait it out and see. All 4 yr olds are a little crazy as our pediatrician put it.... which is why we are waiting until kindergarten @ age 6 to consider medicating. Part of it is the delayed maturity, and that just has to be waited out. As for the effectiveness... if it is TRULY adhd and not something else going on, the results can be AMAZING. But it does stunt growth and long term side effects are still not truly known, so waiting until "real" school is probably your best bet. Good luck! I know how exasperating my hyper active impulsive 4 yr old is. :P
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:38 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I'd give him a chance to see how he does without meds. If you start with meds right away you won't have anything to compare it with. My oldest is on meds and it does make a difference, but she didn't start them until much later. She went through a couple of meds before we found the right one and the right dose. I think it helped a lot that she was old enough to give us good feedback about how the meds made her feel, not just physically, but emotionally too.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I have worked with many kids who are living with ADHD. The only thing I can say is that it is a choice that a parent has to make. Your child's doctor and you discuss options and you make an informed decision. For some children diet, exercise, a full physical (thyroid and other disorders can mimic ADHD symptoms in children so I prefer a rule out), a good routine - that can make the world of difference. Along with CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) and family therapies. I'm comfortable with ADHD as a diagnosis because I am a therapist. Still, if it were my child I would do a rule out for physical issues and then a rule out for anxiety, depression, PTSD, or other childhood issues that have the same symptoms as ADHD. Then I would try to make the diet changes, exercise, and I would have a play therapist work with us. If family life and school life were difficult due to the disorder then I would not hesitate

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:54 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• to try medication. Every child is different. Some children really are a danger to themselves and others. You see so many children with ADHD in the ER not on medication. If you child is off the charts, family life is more like how do we manage him, and daycare or sitters are telling you that he is having a hard time in that setting - I personally would consider medication. A child's self esteem goes down when they hear being corrected every 20 seconds. By age 5 their self esteem is really set. When a parent waits to see what happens it can already be too late for their self concept. Think about it this way, if you were getting yelled at every two seconds or corrected, wouldn't you feel bad about yourself? And why bother trying? You know you can't please anyone. This is why ADHD and anxiety/depression go hand in hand.  As a parent you have to decide the hard stuff.  This IS the hard stuff.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2010