What's the difference between prune juice and karo?

I was giving my 2 month old son a teaspoon of karo in one bottle of his formula in the morning and at his 8 week check up the pediatrician told me to give a tablespoon of prune juice instead. Now he is super contipated and I'm going back to karo! Is it harmful or is it a matter of preference?

Tanya530

Asked by Tanya530 at 5:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Karo is not recommended. That is an old, out-dated technique. I would stop immediately.

Prune juice is safe.

GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 5:43 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• karo is just high fructose corn syrup,not good for anyone. At least the prune juice comes from a fruit

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Karo is corn syrup, isn't it. I haven't used it in years since we stopped eating sugar, but that isn't good for you much less your baby. I agree with the above poster ... prune juice is safe.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Prune juice is natural- Syrup is processed and contains all shorts of bad chemicals-. Please follow your MD's orders. I would do a pediatric suppository before giving syrup to an infant- I am a Picu and Nicu nurse-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:47 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I did not give mine either one i gave apple juice.. To this day my girls drink apple juice ..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 5:47 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It is as bad as honey for a baby. A chance of botulism spores making him sick.
    And it is super unhealthy for anyone.

Give a little prune juice.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:47 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Karo is corn syrup and is a possible botulism risk. Their website specifies NOT to give to infants. Prune juice is a juice. What are the constipation symptoms? Formula or breast milk or both? What are his stools like? Dry, hard, pellets, or something else?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:33 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• He is formula fed. He usually is a once a day pooper. On prune juice he goes every other or every three days and it is a very small amount with small hard pebbles. He was also getting stomach craps with prune juice. I also tried prune apple juice with water but he wouldn't take it.
    Tanya530

Comment by Tanya530 (original poster) at 9:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• In this case, with what you are describing, I would ask for a referral to a pediatric gastroenterologist.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2010