Has anyone requested not to have ANY visitors in the hospital after the baby is born?

I am delivering in a hospital that is two hours away from LO's parents and 15 hours away from my family. I feel strongly that I don't want any visitors in the hospital and would like family and/or friends to wait a few days until after I get out of the hospital to visit. I feel this way for a few reasons. I'm a private person and this is an extremely personal moment. I know it sounds selfish but I'd like the first few days to be just about me, the baby, and my LO. I doubt that I'll be feeling recovered enough to deal with any family no matter how pure their intentions are. Did anyone tell their families that they didn't want visitors? How did they take it? Did you regret the decision later on? Did anyone have visitors and they wished it had been just mommy, daddy, and baby?

Orchid83

Asked by Orchid83 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• A coworker I know did this. There were 2 main hospitals in town, and she refused to tell anyone where she would be giving birth and requested no visitors both times. She had no regrets about it.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I think everyone is different. I didn't want anyone stopping by when I was in labor... I did 22 hours and I wasn't having it... lol After we want our son... Friends stopped by right and left during the day.... but, they called first if they wanted to stop by which was nice.
    K-RydesMommy

Answer by K-RydesMommy at 5:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I'd inform the hospital, nurses, and your OB that you do not want any visitors. At the same time I would avoid telling anyone what hospital you are at, and when you are there.

I have not personally done it nor am I familiar with any of my friends who did. But everyone's privacy tolerances are different so I don't think anyone should be upset with you. GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 5:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I just let everyone know to give us peace while we was in the hospital and could visit all they want when we got home. They all understood and had a Welcome Baby party for us when we got home.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 5:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I'm only asking that no one be at the hospital during labor/delivery, and that I want to be able to settle into my recovery room and be able to take a shower before visitors come. If I give birth overnight, no one will be allowed to visit until the next morning.

With DD I had my mom, her BF, my brother, and her dads mom and dad waiting at the hospital during labor. My mom was pacing the hallways and causing a fuss. Not this time.

I say do whatever you are comfortable with. and just tell them, that's all you can do.
    zoeysmom331

Answer by zoeysmom331 at 5:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• When I had my daughter 21 years ago, the hospital policy was that only the father of the baby and the grandparents could visit. I wasn't crazy about it but then again that is when they pushed you out of the hospital within 24 hours anyway. I would rather have guests at the hospital than the first few days at home. If that is what you want to do, that is what you should do.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 5:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Thanks for your comments! I felt like everyone I knew had visitors from their families and I was feeling bad about requesting that mine wait to see the baby. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I guess it's our feelings that are most important on that day.
    Orchid83

Comment by Orchid83 (original poster) at 5:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It's your body, your baby, your birthing experience. My youngest son was born when we were stationed thousands of miles from any family. It was very sad for me not to be able to share that time with them. Just another point of view.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:05 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• When we had our son, we had TONS of visitors at the hospital and it kind of drove me crazy. When this next baby is born in November, we will let our parents come see the baby after he is born and only 1 of the days...we feel like this is a special moment for us and our son and we all need to adjust. I want it to be about our 4 year old becoming a big brother more than anything...people can wait until we get home and settled before coming to see the new baby IMO.
    mishmashmom

Answer by mishmashmom at 6:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2010