Ugh.

my son is 16 months old. i am a single mother, not by choice, but by circumstance. things did not work out between my son's father and i so we broke up and i moved out of our apt at the time. my son's father and i have gotten back together, but are still living apart, and the older my son gets, and the more he acts up, i'm starting to realize i didn't really want to have a child. not to sound awful, but i just don't think i was ready for one. i know that i put myself in this situation and that i only have myself to blame, but i feel really bad for feeling this way. maybe it's the stress of raising him alone that is making me feel the way i do. i just feel like a really bad mom for having those thoughts. Should I feel bad for having these feelings and has anyone else in a similar situation ever felt this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like you need to see some kind of professional counselor.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 5:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I just wrote you a really long response then you deleted the question. GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 5:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Sounds like you could be depressed. I would seek out some professional help or talk to you family doc about anti-depressents. Your situation can't be easy. GL
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 7:07 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Children go through phases and they can be a handful, but that doesn't mean that you are a bad mother. They are kids and they will not be good all the time. My suggestion is to do more things that would make for a better relationship with him so he doesn't act up. Spend quality time with him by teaching him how to throw a baseball, or taking him to the park to play basketball or something that he will feel more connected by. If he likes video games, try to show interest in that or race cars or bicycle riding. These are things my kids showed an interest in and I took it upon myself to spend quality time doing things with them I knew they enjoyed playing. You'd be surprised how fast their attitudes change when you show an interest in them particularly. or their interests.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:29 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Sorry about that. I didn't realize your son was 16 months old. He's still a baby. You can still do things with him. Most of my recommendations in the first post were for older children. You can still play with your son with any baby toys which still would be interacting and taking him for a stroll in the park. Once he gets a little older, he will change and everything will be different.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:34 PM on Aug. 17, 2010