What would you do? (PIOG)

My DH is so worried about what other people think of the name we have picked out for our son...and the more he mentions it the more stressed out I get. Both of us want family names. Our 1st son is already named after DH, and now he wants this one named after his grandpa, but I feel like it's only fair if we use a name from my side because we've already named 1 kid after his side, and we don't know if we'll have anymore kids after this. So, the name we have picked out is Fisher Jay Maughan and my DH is afraid people are going to make fun of him and call him Fisherman...which they probably will, but kids will make fun of just about anything right? I'm not as worried about it as he is because it has meaning and a strong background behind it. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Baby Names

• stand strong about what you want...you are the one carring the baby both of my kids are named after my deceased parents...(my son after his grandpa too)...but my s\o dosent care cuz i am the one having them and going through all that pain and stuff...so..tell him how you fell and stand by it
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 6:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Im going to be honest, and please take no offense to this, but I dont think I would name my child something if I knew it would cause him to be teased his entire life. Like you said, kids make fun of other kids enough, but when you give them something so easy to make fun of the kid for, they will run with it I would think. Ofcourse this is just my personal opinion. GL deciding! :)
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 6:23 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Is there a way to honor your side and pick a different name that Hubs is more comfortable with? It's his kid too, and while I understand honoring your side of the family he has to like it too. I doubt everyone in your family has that name so is there another name that you both like?
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 6:26 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• fisher is a good name it sounds strong what if kids dont make fun of his name and they make fun of the hairstyle he wants. kids do tease and pick friends about every little thing they can think of and thats where you come in and teach him how to stick up for himself and how to tell other kids DONT SAY THAT TO ME OR DONT CALL ME THAT OR MY NAME IS FISHER NOT FISHERMAN and only answer the kids who call him by his right name. i think you should pick the name you like from your side since you have a name from his side maybe you could even combine a name from both sides. and something about my daughter when she was in school and it was winter and we walked 1/2 hour to get there so its cold and she always wanted to wear a skirt because the other girls didnt want to be friends with her because she was wearing pants i told her if they dont want to be your friend cuz of what your wearing then they're not real friends.
    jaes347

Answer by jaes347 at 6:31 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Sorry, I don't think I would. Fisher is a wonderful name, but with the last name Maughan I wouldn't do it. Children will tease for anything... but you don't want to make him an easy target! it's like naming your child "Holly Wood" or "Candy Kane"
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• What if you made his first name Fisher-Jay (or Fisher- something) SO then, he might still be teased, but at least when looking at his name it would be Fisher-Jay Maughan (maybe you could add his grandfathers name for his middle name?
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• or if you love those names what about Jay Fisher...
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 8:38 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I agree with PP why not just flip the first and middle name? You will still honor your family but Jay Maughan isnt as easy of a target for teasing....
    coolassmom87

Answer by coolassmom87 at 9:02 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Fisher sounds like a LAST name to me. I wouldn't chose it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I think he's right.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2010