Do handmade organic beauty products interest you?

I'm a mom who looking to bring in some supplemental income and I do NOT want to do direct sales or MLM. I know a lot about herbs and make many of my own health and beauty products. I have found a way to make them with organic preservatives, but I need to know if there is an interest out there for this sort of thing. The type of products would range from handmade organic soaps (like shampoo, facial cleanser, even household cleaners) to items to fill your medicine cabinet like alcohol-free hand sanitizer and natural antibiotic ointments (with natural analgesics). Would you need a USDA Organic Seal? Or just an association with Organic Consumers Assoc. (or the like)? Or full disclosure of all ingredients and the safety data sheets for them? None of the above? Or no interest at all?

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 6:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• My sister made an entire line of products. All the ingredients were listed and she had to be approved, licensed and insured to sell them to the public. There are liability issues with personal care products. I can't remember off the top of my head but I know she had to have an inspection at her house where she made them. She put a lot of time and research into producing her stuff. She even made mineral makeup. Problem with it is she couldn't find a market for it to make it profitable. There are always quite a few vendors selling at the local craft shows. Do your research so there are no legal or liability issues later.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• no
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I wouldn't be,no. I'd rather make them myself if I was so inclined to use things like this.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:24 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• no, and if I want something I make it myself.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Yes but I buy my products from Lush.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• would I buy natural herbal products? possibly if I were allowed to try them..

but I don't buy anything labeled as "organic". Sorry I hate that word, it's stupid and completely false advertising. Do people really know what organic means? it means with carbon. Water is technically inorganic because it doesn't contain carbon.

so no, I don't buy products that are labeled as organic because I feel they are BS. If you can't even correctly name your product, then I can't believe anything about it. (and yes I worked in places that made "organic" products and most of them ARE bs).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I make my own stuff, for the most part.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:46 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Not really.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:49 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• A womans daughter that I used to work with made organic lip balms and lotions, and I bought some and it was amazingly awesome. Ididnt get any stretch marks when I was pregnant!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:48 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• No...It gives me the feeling that I can do it myself
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 11:37 AM on Aug. 18, 2010