Please don't be judgemental! My son is almost 3 and REFUSES to potty train!

The other two were a breeze! No matter how many times a day I put him on the toilet he still pees and poops his pants! I work and daycares won't deal with this(I don't blame them!) He doesn't go on his own either, I have to walk him over to the toilet and stand there. I have other kids and am really busy with their issues too and I don't know what to do! I took away his pull ups for good, tried a chart. Any other ideas?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 6:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We had to switch from stickers and tattoos to hersheys miniatures. My guy turned 3 last week and pees just fine, will not do the doo. Not even for candy. I'm going to finish the bag of candy in the meantime.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Give him a little longer. He just might not be ready.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:23 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• There's nothing wrong with that! My son was 3 when he decided to potty train. You can't force them. They will do it when they are ready. Don't stress!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 6:30 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Mine is the same way so I am not judging. All of my kids were late to potty train.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:27 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• How about just not trying so hard. In fact just blow it off for now. Give him back his pull ups and stop worrying about it
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:29 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• The average age for a boy to potty train is 38 months. If you are negative or force him to do so, he won't. Just take a deep breath, be encouraging and let him lead the way :)

I got frustrated seeing how many moms were saying their 2 yr old boys were potty trained when I knew my 3 year old understood completely and knew exactly what and how to do it. Two days after he turned 38 months, he went pee on his own. A month later, he pooped by himself, and he's not had any accidents at all since then. He only had poop accidents for the month after he peed in the potty for the first time, but they were in the diaper, so I don't count them.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 6:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I agree that he just may not be ready. Give him a few more months.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 6:31 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My son was almost 3 1/2 before he was potty trained. We kept trying and he was just not interested. I was really pushing it around his 3rd birthday & struggling. Our Pediatrician told us to just give him some more time and try again later. So a few months later I told him that we were out of diapers & we were going to try the potty again. I gave him a few days notice so that we could talk about it & I could answer any questions or concerns he had. That day, we woke up, put on big boy underwear and started. About an hour later, he peed his pants but ran over to me to get him changed. I asked him every half hour or so if he needed to go. Finally, he told me he needed to pee & that was it. Only 2 other accidents in the next few days & that was it. I really think society makes parents feel too guilty about these things. Just give him time & when he is ready to do it, it will be so much easier & much more peaceful.
    Seansmom1003

Answer by Seansmom1003 at 7:01 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• he's probably just not ready. My 2 older boys didn't get into the swing of potty training until right after their 4th b-days. The light bulb went off and we were on our way. Just take it day by day. Don't push b/c that will not help. he might be pushing right back.
    tabbykat6802

Answer by tabbykat6802 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• You may need to leave it alone for a couple weeks. Don't even mention the potty. And restart fresh..either by your initiating it again or just waitinf for his cues of showing some interest.
    I used to work in daycare..and your right...they won't allow children in the class unless they are potty trained. He'd have to go to a toddler room if they have one. They can't mix the potty trained with the untrained.
    Maybe you can talk to them and they can give you some advice and they will work with you by working with him there.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:30 PM on Aug. 17, 2010