Is anyone else afraid to tell ppl the name they have choosen for their unborn?

I ask this because at this point I am! With my last child I had a wonderful boy name picked out (though it turned out to be a girl!) As it turns out I had not 1 but 2 people, a best friend at the time and a cousin whom I talk to everyday, name their child this same exact uncommon unique name.
At the same time the girl name I picked was taken by an Aunt of mine for her grand-daughter. Now I know I have no personal claim to these names but the time and effort it took me to pick them out made them special and personal to me, and for someone to just come along and take the name I worked so hard to find makes me cautious about telling anyone anything.

4plus1more

Asked by 4plus1more at 7:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• im not cause i know outside of our family noone would like the name Borron James for a boy lol
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 7:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I would just tell everyone it is going to be a surprise if anyone asks what you have picked out.
    Zoeybug

Answer by Zoeybug at 7:55 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I'd be a bit ticked off too. =) I'd keep mum about any other names you come up with until after baby is born. Just tell people"it's a surprise so deal with it." =)
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 7:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I have had a girl named picked out since before I knew my boy was a girl. :) I have never told ANYONE but SO because I think it's so beautiful and it's my little girls name you know? Even though I don't have one yet... well yea, I don't want anyone to steal it!
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 8:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• yes i dont like to tell people that are relatedto me and whom are preg. my aunt did that to my mom with me and my sis my mom told her our names and she named her kids the same
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 8:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My daughter is going to have a third cousin with the same name but a different spelling =]
    My boyfriend and I just happen to love the name Jossalyn. It's not our fault if my boyfriend's cousin named her daughter Joselyn, is it? Besides, they'll have completely different last names and they'll only be related through their grandmas, who were sisters. No biggie. I'd consider it the highest form of flattery if someone named their daughter after mine =3
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Name your kid whatever you want. If someone else steals the name, oh well. It was your idea first, keep it. So your kid has a cousin with the same name... worse things have happened.
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 8:27 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• i would be a bit ticked espically if it was a friend or reletive, but none are pregnant right now so i tell them the names we picked out,
    Jade Faye if its a girl
    Kaedon Ray for a boy
    the ultra sound said it was a boy but hubby is still hopin for that lil girl !!
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 8:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• i'm not too worried about ppl stealing my names because i'm only one pregnant around but i hate telling my names and seeing people's facial reactions if they don't like them but i would be really p.o.-ed in your situation
    BabySiu2

Answer by BabySiu2 at 9:22 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I noticed that too..that is why I dont give out names anymore of what I will be naming future children. I named my daughter Maia and my husband told one of his friends...whos gf was pregnant also... I had my daughter she had hers about 4 months later named her the same name...needless to say annoyed me..so NEVER AGAIN!!! lol
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2008