Should I start potty training or should I wait? What would you do?

My 2 yr old is so ready to be potty trained. He takes his diaper off everytime he pees even just once in it and is showing other signs that he is ready. Normally I wouldn't hesitate to start as he is the same age as my older son was when he was potty trained. I am hesitating for 2 reasons. One is we are having a 3rd child in November, a little girl so I am sure there will be some jealousy, and for 2, he has scoliosis. He is having an MRI in a few weeks and depending on what the MRI shows he may have to have back surgery and spend some time in a wheelchair, if the MRI doesn't show anything he will be going into a back brace and the Dr told me that he is going to be upset about having to wear it as he would have to wear it 22 hours a day to start. So I don't know if I should just keep him in diapers until after everything with his back and the new baby or if I should just go ahead and do it now. What would you do?

mommatink83

Asked by mommatink83 at 6:30 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't see any harm in trying it. I think you should bring up your concerns to your DS's pediatrician though. They should be able to give you good advice :)
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 6:54 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• go for it...might help him not think too much bout the back brace...gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• you could start and just see if he takes off with it..if not just wait till afterwards..Poor guy has alot going on! I just started with my 2yr old Monday and its not fun she is not natural at it!! LOL She has all the signs of being ready but we will see what progress we make in 2 weeks if no better we may take a potty break..LOL
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:40 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• you could try it might work, some boys are stubborn tho.. my son didn't even seem interested till 2 1/2 but try and see and if it doesn't work out well just wait.
    Ashton91005

Answer by Ashton91005 at 1:37 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You could try it...see if it takes! :)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:37 AM on Aug. 19, 2010