18 month shots...in the arm?

My dh just came back from taking our 18 month old dd to the doctor for her checkup and shots. The doctor gave her shots in the arm, he said it was because they may cause some pain in a few days and she probably uses her legs more than her arms?
I don't ever remember my son getting shots in the arm. I always heard that the thigh was the best spot because its a bigger muscle and can handle more.
Did yours get thier 18 month in the arm?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 6:33 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son got them in his arm also im not sure why. hubby took him that time since i had just had my other son he took him and according to him the said after the 18 months they do it int he arm because suposably it hurts less or something about it hurting
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 7:07 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• it just needs to go in a "meaty" area.

keep her using her arm though, so it doesn't stiffen up.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:35 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• that's weird! my 5 year old just got her kindergarten shots and got all 4 in her thigh. neither her or my ds (almost 5 months) have never gotten shots in the arm!
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 6:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I don't vaccinate, so I never had to deal with that stuff directly. But my Niece and Nephew are both vaccinated and so far have gotten them ALL in the arm... I have never seen them given in the leg or anywhere else. So I'm going to assume it's up to the doctor.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I don't vaccinate anymore, but I remember as a kid the nurse telling me that when I got my shot to move my arm around alot to get the vaccine to spread more quickly and not just sit at the injection site. This would keep it from being sore. If baby moves his legs alot then the soreness would go away sooner, so I don't understand the doc's logic.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 6:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I think it totally depends on the nurse...for my kids it moved to the arm around that age. My five year old just had her K shot and it was in the arm.
    bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 6:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It varies by nurse. Kyra's doesn't give shots in the arm until 4 years. My sisters always asked mom if she'd prefer the shots in the leg or arm.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 7:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• nope...mines always gets them in the thigh...i was told the are would be later...
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2010