What is a good age to start weening children off of bottles?

Some people think around 24 months others think later. I'd just like to see what the poll is on Cafemom.

dragonlover1983

Asked by dragonlover1983 at 6:34 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• A year

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:35 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• 1 year
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:35 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• my son started at 10 and a half months. my daughter is almost 11 mths, she was a preemie so its taking her a bit longer, but she gets the bottle for breakfast and when she is ready to go to bed for the night. lunch time and snack time i give her the sippy cup
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 6:37 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I think when they have in 1/2 of their teeth or when they are 11 months old. my daughter was breastfed and she was drnking from a sports sippy cup at 1 yrs old.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 6:37 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• 9 mos - 1 yr

Answer by missanc at 6:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• The bottle was completely gone for our son at 12 months. We transitioned to the cup during the month before.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 6:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My doc said that babies start forming habits at around 15 months, so it is best to stop giving a bottle and or pacifier, and co-sleeping, by that time.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:40 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• 1 year. Wait too much longer and it only gets harder. Both my babies were off before their first bday. A friend of mine is having a terrible time weaning her almost 2 yr old - he is SO attached!
    kricketandisla

Answer by kricketandisla at 6:43 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• 12 mo.

At 12 mo toddlers no longer need to drink formula or milk. They should drink water and can have up to 4 ounces juice (in an open cup, according to the AAP). Up to age 12 mo babies should have 32 oz formula a day in bottles.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• 9 months I gave my kids a sippy cup. The older one kept his bottle for bedtime feeds until 15 months. I think it was less about the bottle and more about the quiet cuddle time before bed. My younger one I have him the sippy cup @ 9 months and he was done with his bottle on his own by 10 months. I think they should be exposed sooner than later to the sippy, but then (within reason) allow them to make the final transition to the cup exclusively
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2010