IUD or Depo shot

I just had my second and probably last baby 4 months ago. I am looking for a new form of BC that isn't the pill. What I don't like about the pill is the hormones cause my sex drive to be almost gone. I am thinking about the IUD but I would like to know if anyone has any experience with either and what you would recommend.

bbchic

Asked by bbchic at 6:34 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Health

• I hated the IUD ... I would not recommend it. I don't know anything about depo shots.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 6:37 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I have the Mirena hormonal IUD. I LOVE it. The first few months sucked though. I gained weight 25lbs, I had bad acne and bled off and on for 4 months.
    But after that time the acne went away and the bleeding stopped, I went from a VERY heavy period before getting the IUD, to a VERY light one. Most of the time I don't even notice it.
    We have more sex than ever because their is no worry about birth control. I have had it for 2.5 years and LOVE it!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:38 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I've had both.

Depo I gained 60lbs and you have to go in every 3 months to get a new shot.

I have an IUD now. I have the copper T (paragard) because I don't want anything with hormones. I would have you talk to your OB/GYN about what is best for you.
    I like my IUD because it does nothing to me...now. When I first got it I had to get used to cramps (I've always been lucky with not having cramps that often but the first 3 months I had my IUD I got cramps every month....they are gone again now).

IDK, I hope you find something that works :)
    AmmuJSE

Answer by AmmuJSE at 6:40 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I dont like the hormones either...depo is full of hormone. Mirena iud has some hormone and the paragaurd iud has none. I spoke with my doctor about my hormone concerns because of my sex drive also an he recommended the paragaurd. I havnt done it yet cause I couldn't afford it right now. so I can't tell you anymore than that sorry.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 6:41 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I hate Mirena. I had SOOO many bad side effects with it... I am normally 135 and I ballooned to almost 200, I was irritable, emotional, lost my sex drive, had acne all over my body, my hair was falling out, etc. I also bled the entire first 6 months on it. To me, it's totally not worth it. It would be the LAST thing I ever do again. I'd rather just have a hysterectomy.

I don't know anything bout depo shots.

I would personally use the Nuva Ring.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 6:43 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I have Mirena. LOVE it. Wouldnt even know it was there. It was a bit painful to get put in and then i spotted for a few months Now I cant tell its there. I know lots of people who love it and a few who hate it. Tried the Depo shot and I had my period for 2months straight. Just didnt agree with me i guess.
    kricketandisla

Answer by kricketandisla at 6:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• If you dont like hormones i would go with the paraguard IUD its hormone free. It lasts for 10 years, I agree with what the other woman said about merina, Ive been on that for 8 months and I've also gained 25lbs. I dont like the weight gain side effect and I get headaches alot.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 6:47 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• If you get the IUD, get the Paragard one because it's hormone free. The Depo shot, NuvaRing, mini-pill, and the Mirena all have the same hormone (they aren't combination hormones, just the progestin). If you've had a problem with hormonal birth control before, I would definitely recommend trying something hormone free for a while.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• the Depo shot sucks.. and while it is only effective as bc for 3 months- it takes over a YEAR for the hormones to leave your body and stop messing with your period. I know many women who have had endless periods with it...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 6:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I did Depo for about 9 months before having kids and HATED it. I gained 20 lbs with each shot within a month and would only manage to lose 10 of it by the next shot (so I gained a total of 30 lbs while on it). It also messed with my system a lot. I got horrible PMS and was actually diagnosed with PMDD at one point while on it. I quit and went to the nuvaring (had been on the pill before) and liked that. After kids I couldn't handle the hormones at all and went with the Paragard IUD. Have had it for almost 3 years now and LOVE it. No hormones and I simply check the strings after my period every month. It was a little painful on insertion and my periods are shorter, but much heavier now.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:30 PM on Aug. 17, 2010