Silly I know but

My first born starts kindergarten in the morning, I am so nervous! I am scared she will cry and throw a fit as she has never been away from me. She had major surgery when she was 2 and that just made us closer. Encouragement would be great and any tips on keeping her from crying would help too!

BusyBeesmom

Asked by BusyBeesmom at 6:40 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• talk to her tonight and tell her how proud of her that she is becoming a big girl and that you will be there as soon as she get home or out of school to pick her up and that you will take her out for ice cream or something after...good luck
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 6:43 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Well...youre gonna cry, so bring the tissue...a box or two, LOL.
    I told myself I wasnt' gonna cry on my sons first day of school...but I did. I thought he'd cry too...but he didnt. He didnt even turn around to wave goodbye on his first day 5 years ago.
    Talk to your daughter about every detail that will be taking place, so nothing is a suprise to her.Show your enthusiam and excitement for her as much as you can and if possible try not to cry until she's in the building or can't see you anymore. That may be impossible though,lol.
    Hang in there. It is the first of many firsts to come. Good Luck :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I am not going to say don't worry but if she does cry she won't be the only one. Lots of little ones cry even if they have had previous experience away form their parents.  My youngest dd starts in September too and she may or may not handle it well.

I would talk about what is going to happen and be prepared for her to surprise you.

bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 6:47 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Don't tell her she is going to love it. I tried to get my child to go to K and like it. Didn't work. You should see the pictures of the look on his face. He didn't cry but he sure was miserable. It didn't last long. I took him out of school. He never wanted to go and we homeschooled. He is now 22.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• If you are anxious, worried, sad, and scared - she will be too. Put on a smile, tell her its a new adventure, be happy for her... then cry your eyes out after you get back to the car. Good luck mama!
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Talk to her about all the friends she will make. All the cool stuff she will learn. All the fun she'll have. My girl put in two years of preschool before starting kindergarten a couple weeks ago. She told me she may or may not cry but that she would try being a big girl and not. Then told me to be a big girl too! If you do feel the urge to cry, wait until you're out of her sight so it doesn't upset her. And if she does start crying, just give her a hug, tell her you'll see her after school and that you love her then say bye and leave. She won't be the first kid to cry and won't be the last. Good luck :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 7:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My oldest literally ripped the buttons off of my coat and screamed my name as I left, it took a teacher and her aid to pry him off of me. I cried so hard that day, my heart was just breaking. But on that same day I dropped my DD off for her first day of school also and all she did was wave goodbye to me. Both had never been with anyone but me, and both had completely different reactions, there is just no way of knowing.

I can say it took my son about it a week to become comfortable and after that he was fine and had no problems.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:07 PM on Aug. 17, 2010