Is there a better way to cut tomatoes into small pieces?

I've learned how to make salsa. Problem is, I don't have a food processor so I end up cutting everything by hand. The peppers and onions and such are easy, but tomatoes are taking me forever. I do have a magic bullet blender but every time I use it they turn to soup lol. I want them in tiny chunks.

Any suggestions??

zoeysmom331

Asked by zoeysmom331 at 6:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I have a magic bullet as well, and I would just not hold down on it for long, just press for 3 seconds and stop and check them.. And continue like that until theyre where you want them to be! GL :)
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 6:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I bought a tomato knife from Pampered Chef that is wonderful at cutting up tomatoes without smashing them. You can slice them thin or dice them up, one of the best knives I've ever used (And no I don't sell it) Still time consuming but you get a much nicer cut on your tomatoes and it doesn't smash them up. And it is faster to use.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I just make sure I have a VERY sharp knife because sometimes tomato skin can be the problem.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 6:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Slice off part of the bottom (That little part that you don't eat). Lay it stem side down. Slice from top to bottom, be careful you don't go all the way through. Turn it 90degrees and slice again (So it will look like squares). Then lay tomato on its side and cut vertically starting from the bottom. You should get little chunks. Hope this makes sense.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 7:01 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I always just buy canned diced tomatoes...I hate chopping tomatoes! =)
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 7:05 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I remove the core from the stem end, cut them in half and remove the seeds, you can just pull it out with your hands. Then I do as JGRIMMER does. Tomatoes are much easier to dice to the size you'd like without all the seeds and pulp in the way. They will be nice and juicy again once you mix it with the other ingredients.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010